Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AG pool insulation

1. Back To Top    #1

AG pool insulation

I'm thinking of adding a heater to my 15x24 above ground pool and also replacing the liner. Would it make sense to put insulation on the floor or walls under the new liner? Has anyone had any experience with Thero-Wall pool insulation or GLI Armor Shield for the floor? Would any of these type of things help keep heat in?

I really meant AG for above ground, not UG. What would that stand for Under Ground?
    Last edited by jblizzle; 03-14-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Edit title

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AG pool insulation

Well, an above ground pool is totally exposed all the way around and has more area to "contact" any cold or wind and such than an in ground pool. I'd probably spend my money on a good solar cover in conjunction with the proposed heater..
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

We built a couple of ag pools that we went to a lumber yard and got a 1/2" thick styrofoam with foil backing on both sides. That seemed to help keep the wall from radiating heat quite so bad.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

+ 1 for a solar cover. The solar cover will help with heat loss due to evaporation, especially at night. I have one and it helps a lot. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree on the solar cover. In addition, I'm also curious about adding padding or insulation of some kind between the liner and the wall when I replace the liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

AG pool insulation

I don't have anything between my liner and the wall and have no regrets. I've read that people that have it if they had to do it again the would not get it. It can also increase the chance of the liner getting punctured. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.