surface dirt

Dec 28, 2013
Orange County, CA
hi all,

i am new at taking care of my pool. its been three months and everything is going fine so far. ive been keeping my levels somewhat balanced and frequently monitoring. everyday, i get dirt or some weird slimy surface stuff. attached is picture. do you guys get this frequently? I've been using the Kreepy Krauly 5-6 days out of the week, and 1-2 days without (just skimmer basket).

Any methods to improve look of the surface? Overall the water is clear, but have that surface dirt that is annoying me.

Recent pool test:

FC 2.2
CC 0
PH 7.8 (new pool -- I keep adding MA)
TA 100
CH 350
CYA 50

dure2ura.jpg

Looks like it may be dust or pollen on the surface?

The current issue you should be most concerned with is you do not have enough chlorine in the water. For a CYA of 50ppm, you should NEVER let the FC get below 4ppm and should be targeting 6-7ppm every day. See the FC/CYA Chart

Your FC is very low for CYA 50. I can't tell from the pics what you have, but that needs to come up, or you'll be in for some real trouble. Check the FC/cya chart in pool school and use it to determine the correct FC level.

Looks like it may be dust or pollen on the surface?

The current issue you should be most concerned with is you do not have enough chlorine in the water. For a CYA of 50ppm, you should NEVER let the FC get below 4ppm and should be targeting 6-7ppm every day. See the FC/CYA Chart

Thanks. Is there ever a time when you can use less chlorine for my situation (i.e. i've heard of less target levels, and it still appears to be ok)? I haven't noticed any algae yet, but my target was a level of 4.

Thanks. Is there ever a time when you can use less chlorine for my situation (i.e. i've heard of less target levels, and it still appears to be ok)? I haven't noticed any algae yet, but my target was a level of 4.

I'm not sure what you mean by the above question.

If your min is 4, you need to be targeting 6 or 7. Normal FC consumption will drop the FC by 1-2 per day. The goal is that by the time you do the next dose, you're still at 4 or above.

Is there ever a time when you can use less chlorine for my situation (i.e. i've heard of less target levels, and it still appears to be ok)? I haven't noticed any algae yet, but my target was a level of 4.
Sure, if you feel lucky.
If the stars align for you, then you may avoid algae with lower FC levels. If you want to guarantee it, then follow our recommendations.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Sure, if you feel lucky.
If the stars align for you, then you may avoid algae with lower FC levels. If you want to guarantee it, then follow our recommendations.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Right now with liquid bleach. I took out the trichlor tablets because i think my CYA levels are fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what you mean by the above question.

If your min is 4, you need to be targeting 6 or 7. Normal FC consumption will drop the FC by 1-2 per day. The goal is that by the time you do the next dose, you're still at 4 or above.

Ok, it's going to be 1 full gallon of bleach to bring it up. Time to dump away!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only time I see huge amounts of stuff clumping on the surface is after a prolonged barbeque session on a windy day. Your upwind neighbors don't happen to do a whole lot of grilling do they? Or for that matter, spray painting or something?

No. I mostly get their leaves as I have no trees. It has been a little windy, but i'm just curious if it's all the surrounding dirt in my backyard. I'll have to cover it up and see.
I just wanted to post to see if this is something normal (i.e. dirt). I'll try sock/skimmer to see if it gets any better.

Otherwise, i might do a solar cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.