Need recomendation for stain preventative

calstar

Feb 28, 2014
santa barbara, california
Need recommendation for stain preventative type/brand at start-up for a new re-plaster. 14000 ig, colored quartz sand plaster, re-plaster to be done next tuesday march 18. I presume the plasterer will tell me what to use but I want to educate myself as much as possible.

thanks,

Brian`

None of those numbers show up for me in the link ... plus didn't you already test and find that your water is different?

You only need stain prevention if you have a source of stains (like metal in the water). If you want to be safe, then add one of the sequestrants listed in the link I previously provided.

I'm inquiring regarding new re-plaster directions which say "add stain preventative"once the pool is filled. The link below has the water info(scroll to bottom) on my municipal water that I will be filling the pool with.

http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=33924

What do think?

thanks,

Brian
Brian,

The link you gave shows that the iron level is not detectable in the surface water and is in the range of ND-280 (so 0.28 ppm max) with an average of 42 ppb (0.042 ppm) in groundwater. However, groundwater is only 7.6% of the city's water supply making the iron amount negligible. Copper had 0.26 ppm in the 90% percentile but that includes copper leeching from indoor plumbing. Manganese was at extremely low levels (in surface water and low levels in groundwater).

So it looks to me like you don't have a metals problem in your water supply and your use of a metal sequestrant is not necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.