Travertine Backsplash Tile

Jan 21, 2014
SE Louisiana
We're having trouble deciding what kind of material to use for our raised bond beam and spa. We want something to match our ivory travertine coping, but we're not all the happy with the waterline tiles that are made to imitate the look of the travertine. Has anyone ever seen basic 4x4 or 2x2 tumbled travertine tile that is typically used for kitchen backsplash, used for a raised bond beam or spa. This would not be used at the waterline, but it would certainly get wet often with splashing and the spa spillover.

We are going to have glass tile at waterline. I'm thinking I would have to use the same method on the travertine. waterseal/membrane, mortar, thin set, travertine. Would this be significantly different from the tumbled travertine that is being used for coping? Any big risk with doing this?

Thanks
Scot

Scot,

I found a couple waterline tiles that match well with the lighter ivory travertine coping. We used a smooth polish ceramic waterline tile that looks close to travertine, it was a 6x6. The one thing to consider since it is polished is that it will have a bit of a glare when the sunlight hits it. The item number for it is in my build thread if your interested.

If you have an MSI or QDI stone showroom close to your location, they have a variety of travertine in the sizes you want that is used for kitchen backsplashes. You can also check out their website too, if you call them they can help with the application process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.