Pentair easy touch readout or k-1766 test result?

Jun 15, 2013
Corinth,TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The SWG says the salt level is at 3200. The K-1766 test result is 3800. Would using the speed stir change the result so it was closer to what the SWG? I dont have one yet. Which one should I go with since one is under reccommended level and the other is over?

There is no need to do anything. Both the SWG and the Taylor test are +-400, so those two results are compatible with each other within the precision of the measurements. Also, both results are within the acceptable range for the SWG.

The speedstir will not change the result. It will speed up the test. I would trust the K1766 results. I calibrate my Jandy 1400 SWCG to the results of the K1766 test. Your IC40 could be off due to water temp or sensor issues. My Jandy is all over the place when the water is cold. Last week I tested my salinity. My Jandy reported 2800 so I tested with the K1766 and it was identical. The pool calc said to add 79 pounds of salt which I did. When I tested three days later the Jandy said 3800 but the K1766 said 3400. I tested a second time from a different area of the pool and it also was at 3400. I will wait until the water temp rises to see how the Jandy reacts to the temp change. As Jason said, you don't have to worry because both are within range but since your current level is 3200 I would not add salt to get it to 3500 (if that is your recommended level) because that 300 would probably put you way over the top of the the upper limit of your IC40 as measured by the K1766 test of 3800. In other words trust the K1766 results and make sure the SWCG does not stray too far. It will, after all, stop producing chlorine if it detects the salinity is out of bounds of its limits.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, you will love the speedstir. It really makes the tests go much faster.

Accuracy, precision, and reliability are three completely different things. The two tests are equally accurate, they are both +-400. The Taylor kit is more precise, i.e. it will tend to give the same result on the same water sample each time, while the SWG will tend to give different, but close, readings each time. The Taylor test is also a bit more reliable, it will tend to work in nearly any situation, while the SWG salt meter can be horribly wrong when the cell plates are scaled, the plates are worn out, or the water temperature is way out of range.

In this situation, what matters most is what salt level the SWG is seeing. If the SWG level is out of range, it won't work, regardless of the actual salt level. The Taylor test is primarily useful for checking to see if the SWG is totally wrong, i.e. something is going wrong with the plates, and not useful for other purposes. Since the two agree within the precision of the tests, the SWG is working correctly, and all that matters is what the SWG thinks the salt level is. If the two measurements get further apart, then we start worrying about the SWG being scaled or wearing out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.