Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flex pvc @ equipment pad

1. Back To Top    #1

flex pvc @ equipment pad

Hi, long time lurker here ( I've learned a lot ) thanks in advance for the input. I have a problem with a multiport valve cracking ( Hayward variflow SP0715XR50 ). I'm on my third one. They keep cracking @ the threaded input ( first one also began leaking @ output and at the case near the waste ). I'm thinking of replacing input from pump with flex. Any thoughts?
    Damon
    New owner, first pool,30+ yr old plaster/gunite,15k gal. White quartz plaster (NEW 5/5/13!)Hayward tristar variable pump Hayward pro grid D.E. Hayward h heater LED color lights.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: flex pvc @ equipment pad

Is the main valve shaded from direct sunlight? They tend to get brittle if they get too much UV. Painting everything with a UV blocking paint also helps, shaded or not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Should be fine. Although not sure why that would be the problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Are you putting any thing on the PVC threads to seal them?
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

5. Back To Top    #5

@ jason, full shade. Im talking new valves, 1 or 2 days and im springing a leak.

@ Josh, rector seal

thx guys
    Damon
    New owner, first pool,30+ yr old plaster/gunite,15k gal. White quartz plaster (NEW 5/5/13!)Hayward tristar variable pump Hayward pro grid D.E. Hayward h heater LED color lights.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

• Don't use teflon tape as it is just putting more pressure on the fittings and port valve (use teflon paste, or other liquid thread sealant)
    • Using flex may help with vibrations or jolting coming from water pressure
    • You can also put a large SS pipe clamp over the female inlet of the port valve and tighten it down, this will prevent the fitting on the port valve from expanding and cracking as well when installing the plumbing. Install this clamp before plumbing
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

@ Josh, rector seal
    This could be it. Does the can say anything about use on ABS plastic?

I would water PROOF silicone on the threads.
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool View Post
    • Don't use teflon tape as it is just putting more pressure on the fittings and port valve (use teflon paste, or other liquid thread sealant)
    • Using flex may help with vibrations or jolting coming from water pressure
    • You can also put a large SS pipe clamp over the female inlet of the port valve and tighten it down, this will prevent the fitting on the port valve from expanding and cracking as well when installing the plumbing. Install this clamp before plumbing
    Going to have to disagree here: Teflon tape IS recommended on PVC as MOST thread sealants are NOT recommended for PVC plastic. Teflon paste is good as well. You have to read the label on the thread sealants to make sure it is for use with PVC.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JoshU View Post
    This could be it. Does the can say anything about use on ABS plastic?

I would water PROOF silicone on the threads.
    PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Rectorseal T Plus 2 pipe thread sealant is a non-setting, multi-purpose compound which contains PTFE, plus synthetic fibers to create a stronger seal. Recommended for use on threaded galvanized steel, iron, brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, polyethylene, fiberglass reinforced, PVC, CPVC and ABS pipe. T Plus 2 may be pressurized immediately following application.

•Teflon-enriched synthetic fibers create a strong seal
    •Compatible with metal and plastic pipe
    •Suitable for use in potable water systems and uses with a wide variety of other gases and liquids
    •Allows for immediate pressurization
    •Does not harden
    •Brush applicator lid
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

10. Back To Top    #10

I would never use teflon tape for threaded joint over 1" in diameter. Teflon paste is more reliable for larger connections.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Rectorseal T Plus 2 pipe thread sealant is a non-setting, multi-purpose compound which contains PTFE, plus synthetic fibers to create a stronger seal. Recommended for use on threaded galvanized steel, iron, brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, polyethylene, fiberglass reinforced, PVC, CPVC and ABS pipe. T Plus 2 may be pressurized immediately following application.
    I saw that too. However it appears they make several different types of Rectorseal. Pretty much any time I've had brand new multi-port valves with cracked ports is a result of the thread sealant or could just be simple over tightening. I don't think you can ever go wrong with just using a very good grade water PROOF (not water resistant) silicone. We used it on thousands and thousands of installations over the years.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the input guys. Rectorseal 5 (yellow stuff) does in fact say NOT for use with abs. Im not sure if I overlooked that or if I thought I had cpvc. I cant find what if any effect it has on abs, but I cant imagine it would weaken it, at least not so quickly.
    I recently replumbed pool pad and moved equipment around so I'm thinking it's an alignment issue. Or maybe these valves are junk!?
    I'll probably work on it this weekend and post back.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I cant find what if any effect it has on abs, but I cant imagine it would weaken it, at least not so quickly.
    The oils used in pipe dope can weaken and crack ABS plastic within a few days of application. I've seen it personally happen dozens of times. I don't know how the Rectorseal product in question compares to pipe dope but I'm just saying that it could have the same sort of oils, etc. Since the bottle says not use on ABS I would have to imagine the Rectroseal used has the same tendency to cause stress cracks in ABS.

I thought I had cpvc
    The valve is probably ABS while the plumbing is probably PVC. Did the pipe and/or PVC fittings crack too?

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

The discussion for pipe dope vs. teflon tape vs kind of pipe dope will go on interminably, I think.

I will add that the most common issue I read about is over tightening the joint causing the plastic to crack. If you break more than one seal, that would be the very first thing I would address.

My experience with all plastic joints (after pipe seal or thread) is somewhere around very hand tight + maybe another 1/2 turn with a wrench but I seldom use all of that 1/2 turn and I get about a 98% or better success rate
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Dave s
    I thought that I had cracked the original valve ( 4 yrs old maybe ) by over tightening it, so I purposely only hand tightened replacement(s)

16. Back To Top    #16

josh pvc is fine, maybe ill try silicone. is there a brand I should look for?

here is my attempt at uploading pics
    IMAG0218.jpg
    IMAG0219.jpgIMAG0220.jpg
    Damon

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

josh pvc is fine, maybe ill try silicone. is there a brand I should look for?
    I've used "Boss" and "GE" many times without any issues. Some silicones may say water resistant however you'll want to it be water proof. I can't stress that part enough. Based on your photos it really does look like either the sealant or over tightening caused the crack.

18. Back To Top    #18

New valve and silicone in. Waiting for it to cure. Cross your fingers. Thanks for all the input everybody.
    Damon

19. Back To Top    #19

Those valves can't take much stress. They crack way too easily at even low to moderate overtightening.

A good silicone to use is one rated as suitable for aquariums.

20. Back To Top    #20

I have used Rector Seal for many, many years on larger PVC and it never caused any problem I could see. I seriously doubt it would have any negative effect on ABS either.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast