Bonding grid under pavers?

Jun 13, 2013
Michigan
Do you need the bonding grid under pavers? Say I do not want the concrete deck and just want a paved deck, would I need the copper or would it be safe to use the steel re bar under the pavers? I would have thought the copper would be required in this case due to corrosion? Any help on this situation would help.

The answer depends on which version of the electrical code is currently in use in your area. The more recent versions of the code (2008 and newer) allow you to place a single loop of #8 copper wire around the outside of the pool and below the pavers (18-24" from the water and 4-6" below sub-grade. Older versions of the code require a full copper grid underneath everything within 3 feet of the water. Different areas update which version of the code they are using at different times, and so it is possible, though no longer all that likely, that your area is using the older version. It is best to ask your inspector for clarification.

Thanks.
I will contact the inspector. The last inspection before back filling he was very picky about the type of attaching screws for bonding the wire to the metal pool side so I know he is a very thorough inspector.
That mesh is very hard to get, most suppliers will only sell wholesale so I haven't found anyone willing to sell it direct to public and hopefully I do not need to.

OK, I spoke with the inspector today, he has said I do not need to put a grid down at all, the only requirement he is after is the continuous loop around the pool connected at all 4 corners and everything bonded to that. He does not want to see a grid just under the pavers.

Thank

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.