Safe to open pool?

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
So, pool water is 42. Air temp is all over currently, but most days well above freezing. Night time temps can get into the 20's, last night was brutal with a low of 19. Those nights will be few and far between though. I checked the water at 6am this morning and the skimmer had no ice in it at all.

I would love to open the pool next weekend (March 22). My control panel has freeze protection so water would flow when it got cold. Will I be safe opening it and getting things cranked up?

Anxious to get the cover off and put away!

If there is no ice in the pump or filter system, the water is clear of icebergs and the skimmer is clear you may start it up. If you have a heater I would set it to a low temperature so that it will gradually increase the water temp. This will be a safe way of making sure there is no freeze up. If you have a solar blanket add that to top of the pool.

Masspools,

It seems you're in Metrowest Boston, as am I. When do you think is a good time to open the pool around this area? At the very least, should I get the pump running and pour some Chlorine into the pool to stem algae growth? Thanks

+ 1 ^^^^ Opening when the water temp is below 60 is key.
I hooked my pump and filter up the other week. The water temp was a a balmy 46 degrees and crystal clear. Adjusted my FC level and everything is good to go.

I will say the warm up has been dramatic. Been a month since opening and its now hitting 63 degrees. Kids are actually sitting with their feet in! Water is clear as can be, everything is dialed in and running smooth. If I can get my patio done by June ill be a happy, relaxed camper!

Ok, maybe I'll hook up the plumbing today. What do you guys do when the green pollen starts blanketing EVERYTHING during mid-spring? Does it wreak havoc on the pool water? This is my first opening!

Skimmer sock or knee high nylon over the skimmer basket. Knee high's are cheaper ! Just check them as often as you can on high pollen days. They catch a lot of junk and can restrict flow. I use the knee high's all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.