Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to open pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to open pool?

So, pool water is 42. Air temp is all over currently, but most days well above freezing. Night time temps can get into the 20's, last night was brutal with a low of 19. Those nights will be few and far between though. I checked the water at 6am this morning and the skimmer had no ice in it at all.

I would love to open the pool next weekend (March 22). My control panel has freeze protection so water would flow when it got cold. Will I be safe opening it and getting things cranked up?

Anxious to get the cover off and put away!
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe to open pool?

As long as you have freeze protection and aren't prone to power outages during bad weather, then it's safe to go ahead and open it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If there is no ice in the pump or filter system, the water is clear of icebergs and the skimmer is clear you may start it up. If you have a heater I would set it to a low temperature so that it will gradually increase the water temp. This will be a safe way of making sure there is no freeze up. If you have a solar blanket add that to top of the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Masspools,

It seems you're in Metrowest Boston, as am I. When do you think is a good time to open the pool around this area? At the very least, should I get the pump running and pour some Chlorine into the pool to stem algae growth? Thanks
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

5. Back To Top    #5

The recommendation here is to open before the water temp reaches 60°. It's guaranteed safe to open as soon as the temps will stay above freezing. Light freezes won't do damage if the water is moving, but I personally wait until the last freeze of the spring is behind us.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

What is this thing you call freezing?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Safe to open pool?

+ 1 ^^^^ Opening when the water temp is below 60 is key.
    I hooked my pump and filter up the other week. The water temp was a a balmy 46 degrees and crystal clear. Adjusted my FC level and everything is good to go.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I will say the warm up has been dramatic. Been a month since opening and its now hitting 63 degrees. Kids are actually sitting with their feet in! Water is clear as can be, everything is dialed in and running smooth. If I can get my patio done by June ill be a happy, relaxed camper!
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, maybe I'll hook up the plumbing today. What do you guys do when the green pollen starts blanketing EVERYTHING during mid-spring? Does it wreak havoc on the pool water? This is my first opening!
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

10. Back To Top    #10

Skimmer sock or knee high nylon over the skimmer basket. Knee high's are cheaper ! Just check them as often as you can on high pollen days. They catch a lot of junk and can restrict flow. I use the knee high's all the time.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.