Think I made a mistake this winter

Pool filter DE and gardening DE are very different. The come from the same place, but pool DE has been treated to be good at filtering, which changes several of it's properties. I don't recommend using pool filter DE for anything other than pool filters.

Added some DE over the weekend. Kept messing up and adding too much. Pressure gauge wouldnt move and then an hour later the returns were not flowing at all! Kept backwashing and starting over. I am down to around 5 ounces by volume and that is still restricting flow quite a bit when my pump is spinning at 2000RPM which normally pretty strong.

That is the bad news. Good news is that nearly all silt is gone! I keep brushing at least once a day and the pool looks great. Cant wait till it warms up.

Smallest bag of DE I could find locally was 25#. It was cheap enough but using 5 ounces at a time will keep me supplied indefinitely. I know you can use DE in gardens but its a different variety, I may still check to see if my wife can use some of it.

I looked online and I was able to get a small box (about the size of the Borax box) for $14, shipped to my local ACE hardware. Its still probably more than I'll ever need but I figure it won't go bad either...<shrug>

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.