Pump stopped without warning

Ziora

Jul 24, 2007
Southeast
Our previous Hayward pump was struck by lightening a few years ago. We replaced it with a Waterco Supastream 2 years ago. Last year we added a salt water system. Our pump just stopped working in the middle of the night. There was no humming or indication anything was wrong beforehand.

After searching how to troubleshoot, my bf checked the voltage to the pump and he said it was normal. The impeller turns freely. He switched out the capacitor but that didn't do anything.

When he unscrewed the pump housing, the aluminum around the screws fell off in chunks. That can't be good. There must be a pump that is better designed to withstand salt water systems. Any suggestions?

I called the pool guy and he said it would be a leak caused by the salt water. Great. He didn't warn me about that possibility when he told me how much I would love it :/ I didn't want to have to buy a pump every year!

Pool is now on the way to green.

Looks like that pump has a 3 year warranty on the wet end and a 2 year warranty on the motor. You could be near the warranty, if not it may be time to go back to a mainstream pump manufacturer. If you still have the wet end of the old hayward around you could just do a motor swap on it.

You won't have to buy a pump every year. It's a bad deal to fail so soon I know.

I have serious doubts that salt had very much to do with it. It might have a slight contribuiton, but the salt isnt why the failure occured.

Sounds to me like a quality issue of some sort. Without obvoiusly doing an analysis, its almost impossible to say why the root cause is. THe cause could range from over-torque of the bolts during assembly to less than ideal aluminum alloy strength to how its molded and manufactured.

I agree with Karmabiker, go for warranty if possible. If not, then I would just recommend get a good quality pump.

I feel your pain....

This pump had a 2 year/1 year warranty. Unfortunately, it's out of warranty. I found a Hayward on sale on Amazon for $342 with free shipping. I appreciate the suggestion that I replace the motor on the old Hayward. I still have it, but it would have cost me more to replace the motor and have it installed than to just buy a new pump. The pool company I use is going to re-plumb and install it for $50. I'm happy to go back to Hayward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.