Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid chlorine V trichlor

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid chlorine V trichlor

Hi Everybody
    I could do with some advice. I was at my chemical supplier today and purchased a drum of liquid chlorine 12%. He then advised me to use trichlor as the liquid chlorine would not be strong enough in the summer with temp around 35 C. Is trichlor better than liquid chlorine not withstanding the Cya problem

Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Liquid chlorine V trichlor

As long as you have enough CYA in there, (which you can add separately) chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. The benefit being you can keep close control on your CYA level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, he is incorrect. Remind him that TRICHLOR adds cya, and it builds up in the pool. Liquid Chlorine does not, and it is more than strong enough.

As WoodyP says, you can maintain tight control of Cya using Bleach. Then you can add CYA IF YOU NEED IT.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

Trichlor adds chlorine, adds CYA, and lowers the PH. Occasionally you need all three effects and using trichlor is handy. However, most of the time you only want one or two of those effects and the remaining ones cause problems.

When you need all three effects, trichlor is "better" in some sense, the rest of the time it is "worse". In practice, it is unusual to need all three effects at the same time, and even if you do, it is simple enough to adjust each of the levels separately.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School