Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Partially Buried Pool sinking

1. Back To Top    #1

Partially Buried Pool sinking

Have a 16x24 Doughboy installed April/May 2012. Had it installed by contractor through pool store. 52" sidewall with about 24" above the ground the rest buried with a deck around part of it. No problems until just noticed the deck is about 6inhes off the top of the pool. Meaning the pool has sunk. The snow and ice started to melt and this is when we noticed. Why is this happening? Is this a problem with install? What can we do to correct? Pool appears to be sinking a little more on one side than the other, but the entire pool is sinking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Partially Buried Pool sinking

Welcome to TFP!

Unless they added fill to level the pool or there was some soil issue, I'd guess the deck has heaved from the cold winter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would like to see a few pictures of the pool. I'm well season with doughboy pools and it sounds like it was built on unsettled ground or in a wet clay/loam area?
    I personally have installed an 18x34 oval completely in the ground with a 8' deep hopper end on it. I replace the 1st liner in this pool last year. the liner was 18 years old and still going strong but the home owner cut the bottom of it by using a brush that had a sharp edge.

4. Back To Top    #4

Please do post pics.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Just a thought, is it possible that the ground has heaved and once the frost comes out it will settle again?
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would really be interested to find out what happened. I am thinking of putting a Doughboy pool semi into the ground. I live in Northwest Ohio, and the winter / winters are bad. Alot of deep freeze. If anyone has any advise or words of wisdom on installing a semi inground pool in Northwest Ohio I would really appreciate the help. If there is already a thread started on this please let me know.

Thanks