I would like your opinions on converting to SWG? Pros and Cons?

I know my pump won't last as long.

A chlorine generator shouldn't cause the pump to not last as long. Tablets with an inline feeder however could cause issues with premature pump failure or more often issues with the sand filter valve if an in-line check valve ins't installed.

I used pucks for the first year about 2 1/2 months of pool being built and open late last summer. The cost is $1300 to have it converted. I know my pump won't last as long.
$1300?? How is that figured?? You can get a Circupool si-45 for $679 shipped! The plus model (Longer warranty and supposedly better cell life) for $100 more at discountsaltpool.com mention my name Steve if you call them. I got one last week.

Seems to me, it could be a fairly easy DIY job. I'm a dummy when it comes to wiring, but I managed to wire up my digital timer last year, and plumbing would be mostly cut out the chlorine infuser or what ever is called and gluing in some pvc/unions? I'll know more next week when I install mine. My salt came to about $60 for my 24,000 gal pool. Without pics of his current set up, it's difficult to tell how much more knowledge it may take. But I DO know he'll get a bunch of help out of the folks here and discountsaltpool.

One thing to keep in mind when considering converting to SWG is the effect of salt on natural stone. When I built my pool the builder said "salt or stone, pick one, but not both". Salt will cause premature degradation of any natural stone surfaces. Even the deck around my pool is concrete with an acrylic coating. No coping, just a cantilevered edge.

In short, if you have a lot of stone you may not want to convert to SWG. But if you don't, I would convert in a minute. I love the SWG pool.

In my humble opinion, SWGs are awesome! No more handling chlorine. No more storing chlorine. Never again, will you open up that bucket of tablets and be greeted by a yellow cloud.

$1300 sounds about right if you are having one installed. Pool stores are out to make money. They make plenty on a salt system. They also get somewhere around $15/bag of salt. If you can do the install yourself, you can save a bunch of money. Even if you pay an electrician to do the wiring, you should still come out way ahead. Just make sure you read the manual, especially the part about installation.

If you keep up with your pool and test regularly, a SWG will make your life really easy. If chlorine is low, just turn it up. Everything else is the same. The only extra maintenance you will have to worry about is cleaning the cell once in a while. It takes about 15 minutes, but you shouldn't have to do it more than once every few months.

A lady frined of mine at work is considering a SWG. I told her I would help, and not go to the Pool Store, that but she did anyhow. Pool store quoted her 2400 installed for an Intellichlor IC 40. She about had a cow.

$1300?? How is that figured?? You can get a Circupool si-45 for $679 shipped! The plus model (Longer warranty and supposedly better cell life) for $100 more at discountsaltpool.com mention my name Steve if you call them. I got one last week.

The company I use for repairs/maintenance is happy to do an install of something I purchase on the Internet and charges around $300 to install a SWG. They are more accommodating than most, who often want to make sure they get a markup on whatever is installed in addition to their install fee.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Has anyone had a bad experience with salt water pool?

I suppose there have been a few people who've seen some damage to material like flagstone from salt exposure, but I'm not sure what else you might mean. People generally love them.

A common misconception people often seem to have is thinking a SW pool is not a Chlorine Pool, but it is.

Has anyone had a bad experience with salt water pool?

I have seen people have trouble with SWGs, but usually it comes down to lack of attention and maintenance. If you don't pay attention to the CYA levels, chances are at some point, algae will start to grow, and no matter how high you set the SWG, it won't keep up.

The other thing that happens a lot is the cells are neglected, and they end up having problems. I've seen quite a few cells replaced that most likely only needed a good cleaning.

Salt water pools can be great, but salt is one of the most corrosive elements... I love bleach and borates... :)

Salt isn't an element. It's two elements combined in a ionic bond. ;)

I couldn't resist. :D

As far as problems go, as stated above, some folks have trouble with flagstone. Other than that, just keep an eye on your pH and add muriatic acid as needed. I'd go crazy if I didn't have an SWG on my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.