Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blue versus clear solar cover and recommended thickness

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Indiana

Blue versus clear solar cover and recommended thickness

Are the clear ones worth the extra money? They are supposed to heat better? Will they let extra chlorine burn off. What thickness should I get? I don't what something that is going to tear too easy but not something too heavy to move easily.
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Blue versus clear solar cover and recommended thickness

General conscientious seems to be buy the cheapest cover you can find because they all only last a couple years. Theoretically the clear should allow slightly more heat, although also slightly more FC breakdown.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Re: Blue versus clear solar cover and recommended thickness

I have a 12 mil clear cover. That would be the thickest I would get. When I have to get a new one I may look at a 8 mil. I've only had it for one season so I'm not sure how long it will last. It's still in great shape. It was a bit cumbersome, so I cut it in half. That made it more user friendly. I use solar saddles to store it.
    As for heating they don't make a huge difference. They make a difference in retaining heat loss at nite. When it's nice and warm and sunny the pool water will heat better with it off providing there isn't a lot of wind. It's something ya have to play with to see what's working better.
    Here's where I got mine. Good prices and free shipping.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.