Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please explain how to dilute CYA test if over 100

1. Back To Top    #1

Please explain how to dilute CYA test if over 100

Hey all!

My old neighbor just bought a home with a pool and he I'd trying to understand how to best care for his pool. Fortunately it seems like he hired a pool service that actually understands how high CYA can be detrimental to a clear sparkly pool. My neighbor said the guy tested it and CYA was over 100 and the pool tech recommended draining and using liquid chlorine once cya is under control.

My neighbor was surprised at first but when I gave him the same advice about draining the pool, he became interested. He's on his way over and he's either going to bring over a sample of water for me to test, or he's going to borrow my CYA testing supplies.

I've read up on how you can dilute the cya test with distiller water, but could someone explain it to me like I'm a 10 year old? Do I add half tap water/half pool water to my red tipped bottle, then top it off with my cya testing solution? Do I mix it somehow in a Pyrex measuring cup? It must be simple but I'm just not getting it. Please help! He's going to be here with in hour.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG. So many typos. Forgive me, I'm on my phone.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

2. Back To Top    #2

Please explain his to dilute CYA test if over 100

Use half tap water half pool water and fill to the bottom of the label of red tipped bottle. Then fill to the top of the label with the reagent. Shake to mix wait 30 seconds. Shake once more. Pour into the view tube. When black dot disappears take your reading then double it.
    If your pool water is cold let warm to room temp. Cold water can sometimes affect the test
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Please explain his to dilute CYA test if over 100

Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
    Add tap water to top of sticker.
    Shake.
    Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
    Add reagent to top of sticker.
    Shake.
    Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
    Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
    Double the result.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Please explain his to dilute CYA test if over 100

Thank you that's exactly the info I needed.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.