Looking for pearls of wisdom on pool re-do

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
All-

This Friday our ~4-week project of re-doing our pool will commence! Specifically:
- pebble-sheen-equivalent resurfacing (from white plaster) and re-tiling
- sawing out our cantilever deck and installing stone coping
- knocking out a spa wall and installing a sun ledge as as well as pushing out some existing steps (rebar and gunite)
- replace lights, drain covers, fittings
- in Dallas, TX (hopefully it's done freezing)
- keeping existing equipment (actually I'm swapping out a pump but that's neither her nor there)

They're going to do start-up (sounded like TFP-style acid startup method) and brush once per day for 7 days. We've got a lot of ground movement and it sounded like the decoseal would be applied appropriately (it's been a few weeks since we walked through it, but, as I remember, it would be where the decking meetings the coping in addition to between the coping and the tile work).

I've read other threads on the precautions needed for applying plaster (keeping tabs on the water/plaster mixture and specifics around how it's applied)- does that apply less in this case?

And, really, the purpose of the thread- any pearls of wisdom here I need to know and can get in place with the builder?

Thanks all!

We are exploring our options for resurfacing our pool... how did you decide which option (pebble sheen, river rok, diamond brite, quartzscapes or just plaster) to choose? Where we live they don't have a pebble tech certified plasterer but we can get river rok. I am worried about the abrasiveness/texture of the rocks but like its durability and it the pebble/rock finishes don't seem to have as many mottling/color issues. Just looking for insight into how you came to your decision... Thanks

We spent months getting quotes from vendors and even more months checking out all the options. There was consensus that, unless you go with white plaster, the color won't be even, and we wanted some color to it, so that eliminated plaster (like you said). We were going to go with polished marble (which I think is the Diamond Brite, not sure), and at the last minute changed our minds to the pebble. Our builder has a showroom where we could feel it in water and their Sheen product wasn't rough at all. Plus the builder gives it a longer warranty (because it's their own product- just like a Pebble shop will cover the Pebble for longer).

Hydrazzo is the name of the polished marble finish. It is very expensive, very smooth, looks wonderful, and requires more than the usual amount of care with your chemical balance to maintain. Diamond Brite is a quartz finish, only a little expensive, just slightly rough, never really an even color, and relatively easy to maintain.

I also live in the Dallas area (Carrollton) and am looking to do pretty much that exact same renovation. Converting the spa to a sun ledge worries me a bit, but that's what we're leaning toward at this time.

Who did you use? Happy with the results and surface?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.