Having a problem with combined Chlorine in commercial hot tub!

We have a 2500 gal in ground hot tub that is 20 years old. It has a Pentair high rate commercial sand filter and pump. I am having an issue with the combined chlorine building on me. I will change out the water with new incomming water that has 0 combined chlorine in it. I can then let it circulate for a couple of hours in which it will turn over about 8 times. When I retest the water my combined is already at .5 with no bathers. If i let is run overnight my combined with elevate and be over 1.0 in 24 hours. I am feeding liquid chlorine through a Strantrol controler and keep the level at about 4ppm. My pH is at 7.3 and I use CO2 to regulate that. I have added a swim spa Ozonator that is sized for the pool and have it running into the feed lines after my heat exchanger. Since that did not correct the problem I have now added Potassium Monopersulfate. Even after shocking with the recommended dose I have a combined Chlorine level of 1.2 after 1 night. I am using the R-0867 Deox Reagent to give me the correctl readings in my DPD tests.

Anyone out there have any insight that will help me to control or fix this?

Welcome to TFP!

That suggests that there is a reservoir of organic material somewhere, perhaps the filter? I would try backwashing the filter and see if that changes things at all.

It is either that or there is something wrong with the test results (which seems unlikely).

Also, if you weren't diligent about always maintaining a Free Chlorine level, you could have biofilms formed in piping or on spa surfaces (if it feels slimy, then that's likely to be biofilm). You may need to use a biofilm dislodging product such as Ahh-Some on your next water change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.