Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused about FC test

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused about FC test

I merged the similar posts as well. jblizzle

Moved post. Please start your own thread when you have a question Butterfly

Post here since I'm still somewhat of a newbie. New test kit for me too. I'm confused about the FC TEST. I tested at 25 mm. I'm not sure what number I'm suppose to use to multiply by.

FC ?
    CC 0
    pH 7.4
    TA 100
    Ch 160
    CYA 60. I know this is a tad high. Was using those bad ole tabs during the winter. It was 126 before replacing some water and slamming etc
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Confused about FC test

I'm still somewhat of a newbie. New test kit for me too. I'm confused about the FC TEST. I tested at 25 mm. I'm not sure what number I'm suppose to use to multiply by. It says 1 drop = 0.2. 1 drop = 0.5 which is confusing.

FC ?
    CC 0
    pH 7.4
    TA 100
    Ch 160
    CYA 60. I know this is a tad high. Was using those bad ole tabs during the winter. It was 126 before replacing some water and slamming etc
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Confused about FC test

With a 25 ml sample, multiply by 0.2.
    With a 10 ml sample, multiply by 0.5

The 10 ml sample is accurate enough for day-to day use, and saves on reagent.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Test results - confused on FC test

Here's a quote from the Extended Test Kit Directions

There isn't normally any reason to do this, but if you need more precision you can do this test with a 25 ml sample of pool water and multiply the number of drops by 0.2. In most situations the added precision is useless and simply wastes reagent.
    Here's a link http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I will go beyond what Richard said, and say the 10 ml .5 FC per drop is all you will ever need, there is no need to test to higher accuracy than this when dealing with a residential pool which is using CYA stabilizer as you could have variation close to this from one sample to another depending on what part of the pool they come from and how good your circulation is.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Good to know cause I've been going thru some reagents...gotta order more already Thanks loads
    Montgomery, AL

7. Back To Top    #7

So, my FC is 14.8. After slamming, week and a half ago then sunny days it was 43 5 days ago, 19 yesterday and it rained all night last night.
    Montgomery, AL

8. Back To Top    #8

A FC of 43ppm is way too high, how did you overshoot so far?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Before I got my test kit, 3 wks ago, water was green, took a sample to the local yokels....my cya was 126, TA 0 ch 60 ph 6.29 FC 1.0. They had me add 25 lb ALK, 25 lbs cal, 12 cups ph up, algicide 2000 then shock each night 6 cups chlorine each night for 5 nights. After brushing and vacuuming none stop, pool looks great but I think they really overshot everything. It is now BBB for me.
    Montgomery, AL

10. Back To Top    #10

Yikes! Good for you taking this on yourself. It will be the best thing you ever do for your pool. Do spend some time in Pool School. The ABC's is a good place to get started. Right now is a good time to replenish your kit, as TF Testkits has a reagent sale running.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

I've been reading pool school for over a year. I think I've also read every post in the forum. It's very overwhelming but some is starting to sink in. You all are all so **** smart! Trouble is most of it is over my head. I'm determined though!
    Montgomery, AL

12. Back To Top    #12

Focus first on Chlorine and pH. These are the two most critical parameters that need frequent attention. Do you have a specific question about either?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

13. Back To Top    #13

I think I'm good...chlorine level is based on cya level. I'll use the pool calculator since I'm anxious as to how much to add when it's time.
    Montgomery, AL

14. Back To Top    #14

Pool math will answer that. Just take your time entering the correct data and it will take care of you.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: