Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pool set up, help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Intex pool set up, help?

Ok y'all, we have a 20'x48" Intex Ultra Frame. In 2012 we set it up for the first time and it was horrible! We didn't get the ground leveled properly, the filter sucked (or didn't actually ), and we had a hard time keeping the chemical levels where they needed to be. By the end of summer the pool ended up being a big green mud hole *ick*. So we took a year off but we really want it up this year.

1st: We want to get an Intex sand filter/pump. I have read some pretty terrible reviews, some great ones too but still, are they really that bad?? They are in our budget so that's our main reason for not looking at others.

2nd: How would you recommend leveling the ground? Sand isn't an option as our back yard is practically sealed off from the front

3rd: Tips for keeping up with the chemical levels?

Any other tips are appreciated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex pool set up, help?

Welcome to TFP.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We're here to change that!

Start off by getting a good test kit.

1) The Intex 2650 pump/sand filter combo gets very good reviews on here and I don't hesitate recommending it.

2) There are several threads here about leveling. As you've already found out, it's very important to get it very level. You pretty much always want to dig down the high side and never build up the low side.

3) One of the recommended test kits and a good read through Pool School on the ABC's of Pool Chemistry is a good start.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Besides your test kit, leveling the pool is up there with the most important things you can do to have a safe summer! A level base is the foundation and should not be looked over as good enough. We know you are excited! Do it right the first time! Pool School and a great test kit will carry you through the dog days of summer floating and splashing in a crystal clear pool! Up grade the filer/pump and you'll be good to go!

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had the Intex sand filter/pump for at least two years and I love it. I run it 6 hours/day and it keeps my pool crystal clear and I hardly ever have to backwash. That's saying a lot since I live in a forest. I just bought a Sharkline pool and I had the Intex system connected to it. I have no plans to change the pump until it dies and then, I will replace it with a brand new Intex pump that is the shed. I will say, I hated Intex pools when combined with the saltwater chlorinator. I couldn't go 10 months without at least a few of the metal components rusting away but Intex was a good pool for helping me decide that I wanted a better pool.

As far as leveling the ground. It has to been level within 1". If I recall correctly, Intex indicates you should NOT use sand to level their pools. Get the ground right, then go to the hardware store and buy foam, which feels awesome under the pool bottom. The Gorilla Pad is under my current pool and I like it but not as much as foam. As has already been stated, there are lots of conversations on the forum about this. Also, if you don't level it properly, you will never enjoy the pool. Others will but you will always fixate on the uneven side or the unevenness of the bottom.

Test your chemicals everyday until you get a feel for usage. Then, you can back off a tiny bit. I started with pool chlorine but now I am using the BBB method. I love being able to buy bleach and dump it in the pool. I have baking soda and Borax on standby just in case. The only chemical that I buy is stabilizer/conditioner. This allows me to spend my money on pool toys!

Pool ownership is a learning process but if you remain diligent with testing and maintenance it will become a breeze. I hope this helps.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks y'all for the welcome and the advice and recommendations. I've been going through the Pool School files and what a huge help After some searching I've also found some great video links on here about leveling. It isn't going to be as hard as we first believed it would, which is a huge relief.

Yeah in '12 it was so uneven my husband had to stake it out with ropes and such so it wouldn't fall over, definitely not something we want to do again!! Lesson learned!

f3justusc thank you for the personal review on the pump. Now what is the BBB method? Bleach?!

6. Back To Top    #6

We don't call it the BBB method any more. We now call it the TFPC method so as to not make people think they need to use all 3 Bs: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...at-is-tfpc-bbb
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ahha!! Thank you! So bleach and pool chlorine are the same chemical compound just different strengths? That seems so bizarre to me but chemistry wasn't my strongest subject
    9,400 Gal 20x48 Intex Ultra Frame AG

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes the liquid chlorine (10% or 12.5%) is the same active ingredient as bleach (3 or 6 or now 8.25%).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you so much. All y'all have been a huge help. Now for swimming season to start here

10. Back To Top    #10

A note about using foam insulation under your pool. The wonderfully smart and helpful people on here recommend using 3 overlapping strips of gorilla tape on all the seams on the insulation. Do this. They know what they are saying. I ran out of steam by the time I taped my seams so I used only one strip of tape. Though it's holding fairly well, the weight of the water spreads the insulation sheets just enough to leave a small trough that collects dirt. It will also cause extra strain on the liner and that may cause leaks/tears in the grooves.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

11. Back To Top    #11

Extra tape is a good idea. Even with the pump running I get a grid of dirt at the joints of the foam panels. Also get the more expensive extruded panels. They will last longer and don't absorb water as much.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

12. Back To Top    #12

I used 3/4" extruded foam. Some people use thicker insulation. Here in N.E. FL 3/4" was as thick as I could find. Works wonderfully for my 26' pool. Before I purchased it I contacted a foam insulation manufacturer and asked them about how well regular foam insul would work. They said it would just flatten out and so would not work. The extruded stuff is great tho.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!

13. Back To Top    #13

Did you all place tarps both under and over the pink foam? I have planned to place a heavy duty tarp under the foam and use the one that came with the pool over the foam, but would like to know if anyone has a reason not to place one over the pink insulation.
    Intex 9' x 18' Ultra Frame, Intex SWG, Intex 2650 Sand Filter Pump, TF-100 test kit
    My pool setup – view here

14. Back To Top    #14

I did not place a trap over the foam but only because I felt enough was enough. Tarp on the ground and then foam. That was all that I did.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

15. Back To Top    #15

I lay down the tarp that came with the pool. Then I put down one end of a 30'x60' heavy duty tarp, put the insulation on those two layers of tarp. I then folded the other end of the big tarp over top of the insulation. It often doesn't get cold enough here to kill off the weeds and grass. So I figured all the extra layers might help, couldn't hurt.

Once the pool was all set up I used a 1x 6 board cut to a length that spaned two of the uprights, placed it against the feet and used the board as a guide for cutting thru all tarps and insulation with a case knife, thus cleaning up around the base of the pool. I have also found that the exposed parts of the tarp will shred and rot. I live in NE Fla, we get gobs of rain from June thru November (hurricane season) and we get a pretty fair amount thru the rest of the year. The tarps may hold up better in a drier climate. I would do it the same again. The only thing I'd change is I'd use more tape on the insulation.
    Angie M.

16. Back To Top    #16

Great advice, thanks Taterfink.
    Intex 9' x 18' Ultra Frame, Intex SWG, Intex 2650 Sand Filter Pump, TF-100 test kit
    My pool setup – view here

17. Back To Top    #17

Triple tape- Check

It was in the 80's these past two days but now it's back down to 60's for a while. I'm ready for swimming so the warm weather needs to hurry up

18. Back To Top    #18

You are most welcome! My pool water is up to 72 today. A few more degrees and I may jump in! Can't wait!
    Angie M.