Intex pool set up, help?

Ok y'all, we have a 20'x48" Intex Ultra Frame. In 2012 we set it up for the first time and it was horrible! We didn't get the ground leveled properly, the filter sucked (or didn't actually ;) ), and we had a hard time keeping the chemical levels where they needed to be. By the end of summer the pool ended up being a big green mud hole *ick*. So we took a year off but we really want it up this year.

1st: We want to get an Intex sand filter/pump. I have read some pretty terrible reviews, some great ones too but still, are they really that bad?? They are in our budget so that's our main reason for not looking at others.

2nd: How would you recommend leveling the ground? Sand isn't an option as our back yard is practically sealed off from the front :(

3rd: Tips for keeping up with the chemical levels?

Any other tips are appreciated :)

Welcome to TFP.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We're here to change that! :)

Start off by getting a good test kit.

1) The Intex 2650 pump/sand filter combo gets very good reviews on here and I don't hesitate recommending it.

2) There are several threads here about leveling. As you've already found out, it's very important to get it very level. You pretty much always want to dig down the high side and never build up the low side.

3) One of the recommended test kits and a good read through Pool School on the ABC's of Pool Chemistry is a good start.

Besides your test kit, leveling the pool is up there with the most important things you can do to have a safe summer! A level base is the foundation and should not be looked over as good enough. We know you are excited! Do it right the first time! Pool School and a great test kit will carry you through the dog days of summer floating and splashing in a crystal clear pool! Up grade the filer/pump and you'll be good to go!

Welcome to TFP!

I have had the Intex sand filter/pump for at least two years and I love it. I run it 6 hours/day and it keeps my pool crystal clear and I hardly ever have to backwash. That's saying a lot since I live in a forest. I just bought a Sharkline pool and I had the Intex system connected to it. I have no plans to change the pump until it dies and then, I will replace it with a brand new Intex pump that is the shed. I will say, I hated Intex pools when combined with the saltwater chlorinator. I couldn't go 10 months without at least a few of the metal components rusting away but Intex was a good pool for helping me decide that I wanted a better pool.

As far as leveling the ground. It has to been level within 1". If I recall correctly, Intex indicates you should NOT use sand to level their pools. Get the ground right, then go to the hardware store and buy foam, which feels awesome under the pool bottom. The Gorilla Pad is under my current pool and I like it but not as much as foam. As has already been stated, there are lots of conversations on the forum about this. Also, if you don't level it properly, you will never enjoy the pool. Others will but you will always fixate on the uneven side or the unevenness of the bottom.

Test your chemicals everyday until you get a feel for usage. Then, you can back off a tiny bit. I started with pool chlorine but now I am using the BBB method. I love being able to buy bleach and dump it in the pool. I have baking soda and Borax on standby just in case. The only chemical that I buy is stabilizer/conditioner. This allows me to spend my money on pool toys!

Pool ownership is a learning process but if you remain diligent with testing and maintenance it will become a breeze. I hope this helps.

Thanks y'all for the welcome and the advice and recommendations. I've been going through the Pool School files and what a huge help :) After some searching I've also found some great video links on here about leveling. It isn't going to be as hard as we first believed it would, which is a huge relief.

Yeah in '12 it was so uneven my husband had to stake it out with ropes and such so it wouldn't fall over, definitely not something we want to do again!! Lesson learned!

f3justusc thank you for the personal review on the pump. Now what is the BBB method? Bleach?!

A note about using foam insulation under your pool. The wonderfully smart and helpful people on here recommend using 3 overlapping strips of gorilla tape on all the seams on the insulation. Do this. They know what they are saying. I ran out of steam by the time I taped my seams so I used only one strip of tape. Though it's holding fairly well, the weight of the water spreads the insulation sheets just enough to leave a small trough that collects dirt. It will also cause extra strain on the liner and that may cause leaks/tears in the grooves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used 3/4" extruded foam. Some people use thicker insulation. Here in N.E. FL 3/4" was as thick as I could find. Works wonderfully for my 26' pool. Before I purchased it I contacted a foam insulation manufacturer and asked them about how well regular foam insul would work. They said it would just flatten out and so would not work. The extruded stuff is great tho.

Did you all place tarps both under and over the pink foam? I have planned to place a heavy duty tarp under the foam and use the one that came with the pool over the foam, but would like to know if anyone has a reason not to place one over the pink insulation.

I lay down the tarp that came with the pool. Then I put down one end of a 30'x60' heavy duty tarp, put the insulation on those two layers of tarp. I then folded the other end of the big tarp over top of the insulation. It often doesn't get cold enough here to kill off the weeds and grass. So I figured all the extra layers might help, couldn't hurt.

Once the pool was all set up I used a 1x 6 board cut to a length that spaned two of the uprights, placed it against the feet and used the board as a guide for cutting thru all tarps and insulation with a case knife, thus cleaning up around the base of the pool. I have also found that the exposed parts of the tarp will shred and rot. I live in NE Fla, we get gobs of rain from June thru November (hurricane season) and we get a pretty fair amount thru the rest of the year. The tarps may hold up better in a drier climate. I would do it the same again. The only thing I'd change is I'd use more tape on the insulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.