Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aeriating to raise Ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Aeriating to raise Ph

I have been trying to get my pool balanced out but have made some missteps due to misreading of samples. I do not have a good text kit. I have a 3-way basic Chlorine, PH, TA test. Currently My ph has dropped to about 6.8. I have directed my returns to break the surface of the water in hopes it will bring it back up while I'm at work today. I've read that 7 hours of aeration will result in .2 raise in PH. However, I'm not completely aerating nearly as much as if I put a air pump creating bubbles in the water. Should I add borax to bring the PH back up?
    16'X32'X8' Vinyl Pond with Diving Board (Neck Breaker), 1.5 hp FOXX WhisperFlo(Not so quite anymore), Massive Lawn Egg (aka: Sand Filter), Coolcrete Pool deck (Burns feet to a crisp), Large wooden Multi level deck (Splinter City) with fire pit in center (Insurance company's nightmare.)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aeriating to raise Ph

We need a bit more information to make a solid recommendation (and you should really get a good test kit to get real numbers otherwise everything is a guessing game).

What kind of surface is your pool?

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The PH test only goes down to 6.8. It will read any PH lower than 6.8 as if it was 6.8. So you actual PH might be much lower.

Also, there is no fixed relationship between time aerating and how much the PH moves. It varies rather dramatically with the amount of aeration (which is difficult to quantify) and with your current TA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I understand. I will be buying a better test kit today when I get home. heck i might just do it now since I have an office job. The pools surface is Vinyl. The test kit DOES only go down to 6.8 per the test vial and markings however the water color matched the 6.8 reading. DO you mean that no matter how much lower than 6.8 it may actually be, my kit and testing equipment will not visually show the PH test water to be any lighter than the 6.8 reads. What I'm saying is, the kit only reads down to 6.8 but if it were lower I could noticeably see the water is even lighter than the 6.8 reading couldn't I?

Anyhow, Should I raise it with Borax if i need to in the mean time to be safe.

I have ordered the Taylor K-2006, should have it by Monday.
    16'X32'X8' Vinyl Pond with Diving Board (Neck Breaker), 1.5 hp FOXX WhisperFlo(Not so quite anymore), Massive Lawn Egg (aka: Sand Filter), Coolcrete Pool deck (Burns feet to a crisp), Large wooden Multi level deck (Splinter City) with fire pit in center (Insurance company's nightmare.)

5. Back To Top    #5

The color stops changing when the PH gets to about 6.75, and it simply remains at that color no matter how low the PH.

Yes, I would raise the PH to at least 7.0 with borax right away, and then you can take your time after that. PH below 6.8 can damage vinyl. PH close to 6.8 takes quite a while before there is any damage, but really low PH can cause damage quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok I will go to Wal-Mart and pick some up. I tried finding some the other day in the grocery store but it had additives.

7. Back To Top    #7

Any suggestion on how much to add without solid test results? I have acid on hand if I raise PH too high.

8. Back To Top    #8

Assume 6.8 is accurate and add enough to get to 7.0 or 7.2 wait an hour retest and do it again. Pump on the whole time.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

The standard approach is to use enough to raise the PH by 0.4 or 0.5, give it half an hour to mix in, test the PH, and repeat as needed.

10. Back To Top    #10

So If I have 6.8 and want 7.4 I need to add 250 oz of BORAX?

Thats 15.62 lbs

11. Back To Top    #11

How many gallons, and what TA Number did you put into Pool Math?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

That depends on what your TA is, which I haven't seen you post.

13. Back To Top    #13

You used 23K gallons and a 100 for TA (default level for pool math) correct? If it were me, I would take it slow and shoot for no more than 7.4, but in small amounts as Jason mentions. Once you are really close, give it a little extra time, retest, then add more if needed.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok I will do this. I retested this evening and I got about 7.4 which is fine so I'm going to wait until I get my Taylor kit before I make any changes

15. Back To Top    #15

Yea, I would hold off. If you haven't ordered yet, I would strongly suggest the TF-100 instead. More reagents and they are exactly the same ones.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

I have already ordered. I noticed the TF100 had more but I already have the one kit so maybe that will help me stretch the Taylor kit further. I got it for $54.99 Shipped off E-Bay. I wanted to order from TFT Kits but honestly I'm trying to break the bank with this pool. I've already wasted so much out of ignorance and getting pool stored. I knew there had to be a better way.

17. Back To Top    #17

That's ok, its a great kit, and I hear ya on breaking the Bank for sure. But you did the most important thing which is start learning and finding out there is indeed a better way. No question...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: