Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which bleach number do I use?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which bleach number do I use?

I was looking at the beach in my local grocery store and noticed it gave two values for the chlorine:
    8.25% (as a percentage of total ingredients)
    7.68% "available chlorine"

Which number would I use when calculating the amount of chlorine to add to the pool?
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which bleach number do I use?

Use the 8.25%
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, you found a bleach bottle that actually gave percentages ?

Providing product information seems to be illegal in Canada, or at least that's the impression you would get from reading the labels
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

You would think just the opposite in Canada.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

I was just reading on foxnews that in Canada it is now also illegal to use Greek Style letters when marketing "Feta style" cheese that is not made in Greece thanks to the EU trade agreement
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
    You would think just the opposite in Canada.
    Yeah, you would. My theory is that typical consumer packages have just enough space for useful information in one language, so when you require bilingual packaging the space which used to be used for useful information is instead used to repeat the useless information (ie the marketing fluff) in a second language.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer