Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More Snake Oil

1. Back To Top    #1

More Snake Oil

I found myself in the fortunate situation of having LOW (~20) CYA upon getting the pool rolling, probably due to the constant deluge we have had this winter in Houston. In any event I was browsing the Lowes site trying to find something cheaper than the $25 bucket of CYA at leslies and ran across this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_450727-1772-...7C1&facetInfo=

I have no idea whats in it ... don't really care. I do however suspect that it will be in the next wave of snake oil we have to talk folks out of.

Just bizarre.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More Snake Oil

Wow, the website offers no insight into what it is ...
    Goodbye Dry! contains a proprietary ingredient which is different than other products currently on the market for swimming pools. This unique ingredient works to create softer feeling water and is the first product of its kind which allows the softening effects to be felt not just during, but after swimming as well.
    I can not find any MSDS for it either.

Just pour some laundry softener in the pool ... that is what the bottle looks like
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can't find CYA in smaller jugs than 25 pound buckets? I think I've picked up 4 or 5 pound jugs at Lowe's before. I sure wouldn't want 25 pounds sitting underfoot, oy!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Walmart sells smaller quantities as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    I have no idea whats in it ... don't really care. I do however suspect that it will be in the next wave of snake oil we have to talk folks out of.
    Glad you recognize it for what it is. Couple of threads on it here already....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...50-Goodbye-Dry

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...im-Goodbye-DRY

jb beat me to it, but here are more gems from the Silky Swim website:

How does Goodbye DRY! work?

Goodbye DRY! uses a proprietary technology to create a swimming pool experience for the swimmer like no other product available on the market. The result is water that feels softer on the skin during and after swimming, and leaves hair tangle-free.

What are the active ingredients in Goodbye DRY!?

Goodbye Dry! contains a proprietary ingredient which is different than other products currently on the market for swimming pools. This unique ingredient works to create softer feeling water and is the first product of its kind which allows the softening effects to be felt not just during, but after swimming as well.

I looked for the MSDS and came up empty too. That should be the biggest red flag of them all.

If I remember, next time I go to Lowe's I'll take a look at the label and see if there's anything on there that can shed some insight.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Found a decent size jug of CYA at lowes. Going to fill the sock and hang it in the morning.

I just can believe some of the **** people will buy.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Seems there is no answer for this yet. I looked at the other threads and couldn't find anything on a Google search either. For now it's still top secret I guess.

But agree, its snake oil and If I don't know what it is or what it does, I won't be in my pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

I did some searching and can't find an SDS for it either. It's apparently made by Biolabs and they're notorious for not being forthcoming with info.

P.S. For future info. MSDS's are changing to SDS's. It's a government change trying to align us with the rest of the world!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    I did some searching and can't find an SDS for it either. It's apparently made by Biolabs and they're notorious for not being forthcoming with info.

P.S. For future info. MSDS's are changing to SDS's. It's a government change trying to align us with the rest of the world!
    Thanks for the update
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

Yep, I guess you took the required assimilation...I mean training in December too eh?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah did! Resistance is futile!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Doesn't reveal much.

http://sds.biolabinc.com/msd/consume...002&P_RES=1598

*edit* Hmm..link expires after a while....here it is in a text document, as the pdf is too large..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for finding that rcy, of course it doesn't actually tell us anything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm so glad I found this site before I set up our first ever pool ... although it does make swimming anywhere else a somewhat frightening experience! ** No snake oil for me! **
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC