Katchakid and other safety nets -- experiences?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
I'm considering Katchakid's safety net for my in-ground, 18x36 oval pool. Anyone have one? Is it possible for one person to remove/replace it? How long does it take? Can you put anything over the top -- for example, a leaf net or winter cover? Do you use it with a solar cover, and if yes, how does that work? Any problems with durability? Any problems with the holes they put in your cement? If you installed it yourself, would you recommend that or is professional installation better? Did anyone purchase an alternate brand safety net (e.g. AquaSafe)?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

We had the Katchakid safety net installed on our new pool in December. I would definately recommend having them install it. We've had no problems so far, and it generally takes 1 person about 10minutes to remove or install it. For a little extra $$$, they will include a leaf net for it (we opted against it). The anchors are seated in the kool deck and flagstone for us and we've had no problems.

We've been happy with the setup to this point.

-- Lee

I have one and I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread! There is no way a kid's gonna get in that pool with the net on - unless they have a knife. It takes about 5 minutes to pull off and 10 minutes to put on. Getting it on takes a little strength but it's not difficult. Here's mine right after install:

DSC00949.jpg

DSC00951.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

We are considering installing it ourselves. My husband is currently building a deck railing, including pouring concrete footings, and I've also got a brain for construction (though not the same level of brawn). The DIY kits come with a template, so it appears that as long as you're meticulous about following directions, it's basically a matter of drilling holes. Did you watch the installation, and see something that looked pretty difficult? Or just not comfortable with the idea?

I saw a little of the install. He had a drill bit that I bet cost 100 bucks to drill the holes. I'm not comfortable drilling into flagstone, but I don't believe they covered that anyway - they just had a lot more practice at doing it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is a super old thread but one of the firsts via google search. I wouldn't install this yourself as it requires adjustment via cutting the net, and burning it so it doesnt fray at each connector. I learned a lot watching the fellow install it, and drilling the concrete is only 1/4 of the install. I watched start to finish and the installer cut one square at a time working around the pool in a circle to ensure the mechanism stayed directly in the center for the proper tension.

Their claim to fame is no drowing deaths with a properly installed net. I wouldn't want to mess with that record.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.