Bleach how often how much

It's already been said, but I want to chime in too. It really does get easier very quickly. Within a month or so, I could predict the chlorine level before testing and adding bleach. To do that, I have to factor in how much sun the pool is getting and the temperature. If I'm not sure (how sunny was it?), it only takes a few seconds to test. I don't measure bleach out. I just eyeball how much of a jug I use. And I started in the summer, when things changed fast. Starting in the spring will be easier.

Now that I know how variable chlorine usage can be, I'm shocked the pool guy who only came once a week wasn't more awful at running my pool.

It looks like my local pool store has liquid chorline at a better price than bleach. Regular price is $4.49/gallon of 12.5% and they have 20% off sale all pool chemicals at the begining of May. How many should I buy at once if my only storage option is an insulated garage?

Buy at least 8 on sale and see how the usage goes, then plan accordingly from there. They will be fine in your garage, and this will give you time to plan another trip into town with something to work with.

Store your bleach in a cool, dry place away from any metals you do not want to rust. It will outgas a bit even in a sealed jug. I have a plastic outdoor storage cabinet I keep my jugs of bleach in. I tend to only buy what I will use in a 1-2 week period.

Your uncle may have a completely different set of circumstances than you. Some people vacuum to waste instead of to the filter, and some people with sand or DE filters backwash more frequently than they need and some have heavy bather loads with a lot of splashout so they are replacing lost water more frequently. Some folks have a lot of freshwater dilution with heavy rains, or as Jasonlion said they drain below the returns to winterize their pools. All of these factors can supply enough fresh water dilution that the CYA does not build up to an unmanageable level. Then there are the folks who drain "old" water every 3-5 years when they start having problems keeping it clear.

You have a cartridge filter, so you will lose very little pool water cleaning your filter and unless you plumbed in a waste line, you will not have the option to vacuum to waste. The other conditions associated with your pool may or may not be similar to those I cited above, but someone who loses very little pool water will have a tough time keeping the pool clear using pucks and powdered chlorine after the first year of use.

There is no problem using pucks and powdered chlorine as long as you know how they work and how they affect the overall chemistry of the pool, so you can switch to another method of chlorination when the CYA gets to the top of the recommended range. At TFP the recommended range for CYA is 30-50 for manually chlorinated pools and 70 for pools using a SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.