Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing main drain valve when vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Closing main drain valve when vacuuming

does anyone else do this? My pool has 3 skimmers. I put the vacuum hose in one of them, then I plug the other 2 skimmers with 2" pvc pipes that are capped and filled with water. Then I go close the main drain gate valve until the vacuum gauge hits 15 inches of pressure. Then I start vacuuming.
    -38,000 gallon pool and 1600 gallon spa
    -Triton II TR140 sand filter
    -In ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing main drain valve when vacuuming

You have to do what you have to do in order to get enough suction through the vac. I would guess most people do not have so many hoops to jump through though ... likely just having to adjust one valve.

You have 3 skimmers on a 2k gallon pool?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I turn the valve on my main drains to limit them and cause an increase of suction through my one skimmer to vacuum. It works well.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

ah the pool is 38k gallons and is a public pool. This is the only pool that I work on. Also, I work on a 1600 gallon spa. place is too cheap to buy me one of the robotic vacuums. I doubt they can vacuum in corners and steps anyways.
    -In ground

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, is the signature that is shown not yours? There were some hiccups when we switched forum software with signatures showing up when members did not originally have one.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

There we go, fixed it
    -In ground