Need pump, filter, skimmer and cleaner advice.

CZJon

May 30, 2013
Houston, Texas (Huffman)
Pool Size
We have an 22'x52" round, Intex pool with the pump (Krystal Clear 633T, 2500GPH) and filter (Type B cartridge) that came with it that we purchased and enjoyed last summer. My wife (the primary pool cleaner) is ready to add a dedicated - but not too pricey - pool cleaner, upgrade the filter (that she must clean at least once a week) and possibly the pump if it's necessary to run a cleaner. I added a clamp on skimmer which worked great at removing floating debris, but we ended up with algae outbreaks several times (when the skimmer was removed, we had no algae outbreaks). I need advice on a less-maintenance filter, a good skimmer (I guess I need to add a dedicated suction for one?), a pool cleaner (that will scrub and handle a few leaves), and possibly a larger or additional pump to run the cleaner. I've been to pool school and read the articles but am still very confused.

The Intex sand filters get pretty good reviews and work well with your existing pump. I am not sure about cleaners that would work with the pump though.

The algae has nothing to do with the skimmer ... algae only starts when there is a chemistry problem. Specifically when the FC gets too low relative to your CYA level. How are you chlorinating your pool?

The Intex sand filters get pretty good reviews and work well with your existing pump. I am not sure about cleaners that would work with the pump though.

The algae has nothing to do with the skimmer ... algae only starts when there is a chemistry problem. Specifically when the FC gets too low relative to your CYA level. How are you chlorinating your pool?

Yeah, I want a pump big enough to run a cleaner...if I go with a pressure side cleaner (which I think I'd rather do in order to save the filter?) do I need a separate pump anyway (or maybe just use my existing intex pump...if it's big enough), or should I just go with a bigger pump for the filter? I'm also wondering whether to go ahead and get a DE filter since I'm starting over anyway. I'm not trying to throw money around but I want to save my wife a lot of time and energy (right now she's spending about an hour a day to keep the leaves/pollen to a non-disgusting level), and I don't want to have to upgrade equipment again for at least two-three years.

We're using liquid bleach and testing regularly but for some reason whenever we use the skimmer instead of the normal suction inlet we end up with algae issue and within just a couple days of going back to the normal suction inlet and removing the skimmer, the algae problem clears up?? Not sure what the deal is...but I'm just going to add another dedicated suction inlet for a skimmer...so I need to upgrade our pump anyway just for the added suction?

At this point I think anything would be better than what we have...but I just don't want to upgrade this summer only to have to (or want to) upgrade again next summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.