Who's into Cars? My real passion

edge

Mar 10, 2014
Douglas, GA
Hey guys, Im Dave. I'm new here and i've posted my pool picture etc. I see most of you really have very nice yards, pools, landscaping etc. It's obviously a passion of yours. I'm right there with you but just starting out. Where-as I am becoming a photography buff...

My real passion since an early age has always been cars :)

I'm posting up to see who else is into cars. I love cars, fast modern muscle cars mostly but I love the old muscle too.

I currently have a 2005 Pontiac GTO, LS2 6.0 Liter Engine, 400HP from the factory but I've modded it some so it's more like 430 or so. Exhaust, ECU Tuning and Cold Air Intake help make the extra power. Heres some pictures of my baby.

What about you?

I am. I own a machine shop that builds supercharger cases and components for top fuel dragster, funny car, and pro-mod. I had a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with about 450 hp until last week when I traded it off for a new Ford Explorer Limited for the wife. I still have my 1974 F100 pickup with a 1170hp, 641" BBF, a 2001 F250 with a 7.3 diesel with about 400hp, my Grandfather's 1967 F100 he bought new in 1966, and a few other Ford vehicles. My next street hot rod may be a F150 ecoboost with some mods...:)

I answered in your Dragster thread edge, but again, I love any kind of cool car.

Also, I understand the appeal of the old Ford trucks too Prof100. Had a 70' 250, 390, with factory air I wish I still had. It was a gas guzzling beast.

I always wanted my Uncle's 72' Custom 250. It was just a fine looking truck and had the Side Pocket tool box. Two tone, yellow on white. Unfortunately, it came to a bad end. Both those trucks had a gas tank behind the seat too. They would have a field day with that these days. :mrgreen:

Yeah I had a 64 Ford F100 when I was 15. It was a fixer upper and needed work that i couldn't do at the time. It had the gas tank behind the seat. I didnt get to drive it until years later when someone else owned it.

The Pontiac GTO and the G8 GXP are the ultimate modern-day American sleeper cars. In fact, I read a stat a while back that the G8 GXP (with the LS3 Corvette engine) was the quickest "showroom-stock" car that Pontiac ever produced (cannot remember if they defined that by 0-60 or 1/4 mile ET). Nevertheless, that is quite a feat considering all the muscle cars that Pontiac produced over the years.

The classic American muscle-cars from the 60's and early 70's excel in their simplicity. They may be gas-guzzlers, but most of them were built like tanks and did not require going to IBM to get them fixed.

As for new cars, the thing that concerns me most is the prevalence of all the electronics - a majority of which are not needed, IMHO. Most people use their cars to get them to/from work, run errands, and the occasional road trip - not to control a space mission. When these gizmos break, it usually costs big $ to fix them. But, with all of that said, a friend of mine recently got a brand-new BMW 2 series. I must say, it is a nice ride. Road tests consistently confirm 0-60 times in the mid-5's - quite a feat from a 2-liter 4-cylinder engine that manages 36 MPG highway. Evidently, if you don't go nuts with the options on this model, you can keep the amount of electronics to a manageable level (by today's standards anyway).

For sure. There's a lot of quick factory cars out there. The electronics don't scare me. I have a few friends who use tuning software to get into the computer and tweak the fuel, timing, etc to get more power and efficiency out of it. Mostly power of course lol these days, these cars are so detuned for emissions and safety by the auto makers. There are huge gains to be had with some good tuning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'll brush your pool as I'm passing through if you name the car in my Avatar.

Will be driving the white car to Portland this weekend for the Portland All British Field Meet.

EDIT: Added inline photo.

04711.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello Dave,
Nice thread and nice car’s! I’m a sucker for high-performance no matter what the shape, make or model. I certainly appreciate the looks, sound and work involved with our american-muscle cars, but have always loved the “Sleeper”. With that in mind, I surprised the wife her new/used daily driver; an e55; her's during the week, mine on the weekends. I recently completed some overdue maintenance and did a few extra tweaks to the exhaust and ECU! It had a very noticeable difference in HP, so 2 weeks ago I took it to the drag-strip (with wife’s blessing, of course). I was a bit nervous (maybe noticeable) and surprisingly, I caught a bit of smack-talk while waiting in the pits “what are you gonna do with that?, it’s too heavy!, The tires are wrong!..etc..” OK-then, it’s ON!!!! I was staged with a CTSv, M5 and then a G8 (this is the guy that gave me the most smack-talk and requested we stage together). I had the last laugh with all of them, but the G8 was the most rewarding-he was not happy that a 4door-sedan with massaging seats smoked him (by 2 car lengths)-A fun Friday night and my neighbor and I were impressed and left with a bit of respect! Sorry for the hijacking, but I had to include the story :cool:
8a7e07d4-b914-4fd7-8eb3-bb2bc4ebc703_zpsa7afa580.jpg

BaytownTrackStage_zpsda75e336.jpg

BaytownTrackCTSv_zps38cb268f.jpg

DSC_2010_zpsdb2112eb.jpg

1983 Madza RX-7 with a Chev 454 and TH 350 trans.

Attachments

• Drivers side RX-7.jpg
    Drivers side RX-7.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 454 350 turbo.jpg
    454 350 turbo.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 85
So much to drool over on this thread. gorgeous cars guys.

New wheels/tires
D0A5004B-A183-4664-B71F-EFC77EC89E03_zpsktm08roz.jpg
The wheels came from the UK faster than the tires could get here from Cali.

Also, just bought a new project.
233B4394-2716-4234-B63E-123C1FA9DA46_zps9b0kwszl.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.