Jun 6, 2010
Central Indiana
After reading up on the Pool school method here it sounds like we would have to add bleach to the pool every single day. That sounds like a lot of bleach and something I won't always have time to mess with or a good place to store.

What about a intex swg? These can be picked up for around 200$. Would this work for a permanent above ground pool of are they for those tear down pools only?

Sorry not really, I use a chlorine injection pump on my pool, but I do have a Saltron SWG on my hot tub which I have been impressed with so far (particularly with its sub $100 price tag on ebay). Saltron makes a retrofit drop in SWG for pools, but caution must be taken using it on vinyl pools due to the drop in nature and potential for bleaching out the liner if there is not enough water flow or it is allowed to stay in contact.

Ike

CompuPool has their ups and downs, but often works out to be the best value for in-ground pools. If you are willing to spend a little more the AquaRite systems are especially well thought of.

Using bleach does involve a certain amount of carrying and regular attention to the pool, but it works out to be faster and easier than you might imagine once you get into the routine.

AutoPilot, Hayward and Pentair all make systems for above ground pools. AutoPilot makes a few versions of their above ground pool system with their AG model. The AG "Swan Floater" model doesn't require any installation so it is very simple to set up.

Using bleach does involve a certain amount of carrying and regular attention to the pool, but it works out to be faster and easier than you might imagine once you get into the routine.

Agreed. I was using Instant Ions as the primary sanitizer for my hot tub (with chlorine after each use), which didn't require daily checking when I wasn't using the tub, but switched to chlorine because the ions weren't doing much for things like worms and mosquito larvae.

I was worried at first about the daily checking and bleach addition if I switched to chlorine, but if I check levels first thing in the morning while the coffee maker is working it ends up effectively costing me no "real" time. Since the tub is covered (no sun) I don't have to add chlorine every day but I still check levels daily just in case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.