Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swg?

1. Back To Top    #1

Swg?

After reading up on the Pool school method here it sounds like we would have to add bleach to the pool every single day. That sounds like a lot of bleach and something I won't always have time to mess with or a good place to store.

What about a intex swg? These can be picked up for around 200$. Would this work for a permanent above ground pool of are they for those tear down pools only?
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swg?

The current Intex SWG does not have great reputation, the older one was much better until they encheapend it, there are other alternatives out there to the intex though.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Any recommendations at a reasonable price?
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry not really, I use a chlorine injection pump on my pool, but I do have a Saltron SWG on my hot tub which I have been impressed with so far (particularly with its sub $100 price tag on ebay). Saltron makes a retrofit drop in SWG for pools, but caution must be taken using it on vinyl pools due to the drop in nature and potential for bleaching out the liner if there is not enough water flow or it is allowed to stay in contact.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

CompuPool has their ups and downs, but often works out to be the best value for in-ground pools. If you are willing to spend a little more the AquaRite systems are especially well thought of.

Using bleach does involve a certain amount of carrying and regular attention to the pool, but it works out to be faster and easier than you might imagine once you get into the routine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

AutoPilot, Hayward and Pentair all make systems for above ground pools. AutoPilot makes a few versions of their above ground pool system with their AG model. The AG "Swan Floater" model doesn't require any installation so it is very simple to set up.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Using bleach does involve a certain amount of carrying and regular attention to the pool, but it works out to be faster and easier than you might imagine once you get into the routine.
    Agreed, it really isn't too hard at all, and with 13,500 capacity, it won't take all that much.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Agreed. I was using Instant Ions as the primary sanitizer for my hot tub (with chlorine after each use), which didn't require daily checking when I wasn't using the tub, but switched to chlorine because the ions weren't doing much for things like worms and mosquito larvae.

I was worried at first about the daily checking and bleach addition if I switched to chlorine, but if I check levels first thing in the morning while the coffee maker is working it ends up effectively costing me no "real" time. Since the tub is covered (no sun) I don't have to add chlorine every day but I still check levels daily just in case.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

Since my pool is metal framed is salt water hard on it/too corrosive?

10. Back To Top    #10

A metal frame isn't really a problem unless you live in an extremely arid area or the liner leaks and you don't patch it in a reasonable amount of time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School