Pump seems not to have same power as before

Mar 10, 2014
SW Florida
I have lived in this house two years. At first the pump had really good circulation now I have green water with high chlorine level and pump running 24 hrs for last 5 days. I have three inlet valves one for Skimmer one for Floor and one for cleaning port. All separate lines nothing connected together at skimmer. When I close off the skimmer and cleaning port leaving the floor
port open, with or without a filter installed, my PSI drops from 9-10 to about 2 PSI. When I close off the floor and leave skimmer valve open I get about 7 PSI. When both skimmer and floor valves are open I get around 9-10 PSI. I have a brand new filter which I take out to test. Do I have a clogged floor drain or partial blockage? Thanks I have a 15000 gallon pool with a 1HP motor

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Reread your post and correct sentence #5. Are you closing the skimmer or leaving it open?

Is your pool clear or cloudy green?

It sounds like you may have a partially clogged suction. The corrected description will narrow down which one.

That does seem like there is more resistance when drawing from just the floor than from just the skimmer. Whether that is due to a partial clog or just inefficient plumbing is hard to say. Has it always been like that?

On the plus side, I may not worry about it. Many pools do not even have a floor drain and are fine, whereas at least you can pull some from the floor. It should be pretty rare that you would ever need to be fully drawing from the floor anyway.

About the green water. To clear that up you will need to follow the SLAM Process and to do that correctly you will need one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Here is some other reading about clearing up your pool:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

How do you currently chlorinate? See the in Pool School about chemistry as well:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Also, please add your pool details to your signature and more specific location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.