Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH issues--Muriatic Acid question

1. Back To Top    #1

pH issues--Muriatic Acid question

Hello All,

I have a question about adding Muriatic Acid to my brand new pool. We have been struggling the past week or more to keep the pH at a good level, and have been adding Muriatic Acid DAILY to keep it in the 7.4ish range. Doesn't that seem like a LOT? That is about $5 per day on acid to add to this pool. I have been told that the pH level will continue to creep up with a new plaster pool, but just never imagined that we would be spending this much money on acid alone to add to it. Can this be right?

We have been buying the Muriatic Acid at Home Depot-(2) 1 gallon jugs and it has been taking a gallon per day to keep the pH down. It says it is 14.5% Hydrogen Chloride. Is there a better way to buy this, to keep the cost down. I would hope that this is not going to cost $5 per day in acid for a year!

Thanks

Lissy
    brand new Shasta built IG-plaster with quartz interior, 16,800 gallons. Two skimmers, in floor cleaning system, cartridge filter.

Melissa
    AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH issues--Muriatic Acid question

I buy 31% from a locally owned pool store (the only pool store I will go to because they never try to sell me anything) 4 gallons at a time. I don't remember exactly what it costs me, but it's certainly not $5/gallon. I take the empties back to them in exchange for new. Call around. A new pool will require a lot of acid, but that sounds excessive to me. Why are you keeping the pH at 7.4 instead of say 7.8? You'll use less acid if you keep it a bit higher.
    14K gallon IG pool with waterfall and separate 730 gallon IG spa built in 2002, Tahoe Blue Pebble Tec, 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo, (2) 2 HP Pentair WhisperFlo booster pump (one each for spa and waterfall), Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE filter, Pentair Mini Max Plus 400 heater, Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Easy Touch Wireless Control, Hayward Navigator Pro Pool Vac.

3. Back To Top    #3

Muriatic Acid is the one thing that I buy a Leslies ... because it is the 31% stuff and costs about the same as what you are buying at the hardware store, so really it is half the price of the HD stuff.

I agree that you could likely keep the pH in the 7.6-7.8 range and lower your consumption.

What is your TA? A high TA will also drive the pH up along with any aeration and the new plaster.

In fact, post up a full set of test results ... you have one of the Recommended Test Kits right?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

We were told because it was new plaster, that we need to keep the pH lower?? We have a Leslies pool store here, but wanted to stay away if possible....

Lissy
    brand new Shasta built IG-plaster with quartz interior, 16,800 gallons. Two skimmers, in floor cleaning system, cartridge filter.

Melissa
    AZ

5. Back To Top    #5

This is completely normal with fresh plaster and will go away (or at least slow dramatically) after about a month. In the mean time it is important to keep up with it so the PH never gets too high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with Jason above. It will slow after a while, so don't fret too much over it. Smaller hardware stores usually have 31.4% strength as well. Often near, or in the paint section. Be sure to double check your pool math setup for the correct strength in your calculation if you change to 31.4%.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Lowe's carries the 31.4 muriatic around here. The stuff Home Depot carries here isn't the same.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Latest and greatest test results today with my TFT100

FC-6ppm
    CC-0
    TC-6ppm
    CH-450ppm
    TA-120
    CYA-50
    pH-7.8

Melissa
    AZ

9. Back To Top    #9

It's the new plaster and the TA. Unless you have specific chemistry that needs to be maintained for warranty purposes (and please let us know if you do), I'd target 7.6 for pH. Your TA will also slowly drop, which should slow the pH rise and result in less frequent acid additions.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry