Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump won't run.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump won't run.

Hello all, I'm having a bit of trouble with my pool pump and I'm not sure how to proceed.

The pump is a Jandy PHPF1.5 and has a label that also says A.O.Smith Centurion.

After skimming the surface this morning, I tried to vacuum the bottom of the pool and came upon a stuck manual switch. I removed the two metal set screws/trips that activate the pump at night. The switch was locked almost in the off position, but not quite. And the timer was stuck at 3am, when i have it set to run. After removing the trips, I pulled the dial forward and set the correct time and flipped the manual switch to on. Nothing happened, no noise at all.

I checked the breaker for the house and flipped the pool pump breaker off and on again, back to the pool pump and the motor just hums and trips the breaker.

I removed the access cover for the filter on the pump's wet side and cleaned it out. I also removed the small cover on the backside of the pump to see if the pumps rotor would turn and it does.

Being that the pumps rotor spins freely(with a wrench easily, and by hand if you put some muscle to it), I'm at a loss as to what I need to check next.

I can take pictures if need be. The rest of the equipment is a mix of Jandy and Hayward.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump won't run.

That sounds like the start capacitor or the centrifugal switch contacts. It's fairly common for the capacitor to go bad and it's easily replaced.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEIv5ClLqXg

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I ordered a replacement run capacitor with the same specs(30UF, 370VAC, 50/60HZ). Old cap is an ECCOL II, PN: 628318-308. Most pool supply places i found online listed the cap for $35-45, i found the replacement on Amazon for $8.

I removed the "hump" cover that's on top of the pump motor, and tested the cap. I didn't get any resistance reading besides 0, and nothing happened when I tried to discharge the cap, I even hooked it back up and attempted to start the pump in order to energize the cap, still didn't get an arc when I tried to discharge it.

I also removed the pumps rear cap but I didn't notice a secondary capacitor anywhere.

5. Back To Top    #5

Was it the new cap that you didn't get any reading on?

Did you check the centrifugal contacts? They look like a "V" under the back cover.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, no I'm sorry. I'm currently waiting for the new cap to arrive. The old cap was the one i didn't get any reading on. I just mentioned removing the pumps rear cover because I was looking for a second cap to test.

7. Back To Top    #7

There should only be one and since you go no reading I bet the new cap fixes it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator