Is one brand of in line chlorinator better than others?

Jun 17, 2012
I had a above ground pool for 10 years, and until last year when I found this site, I had no idea I was doing what was called the BBB system. I was just doing what was easy and economical for me.

Last fall we finished up our DIY inground pool and was planning on using the same method, BBB most of the time with occasional pucks in the skimmer while on vacation.
After much study I realized that I shouldn't put pucks in the skimmer on this pool because of my Heat Pump.

I want to install an inline puck style chlorinator for occasional use. Is there something specific I need to look for, or can anyone recommend a specific product....or are they pretty much all the same. I want one that is easy to set up and put the pucks in.

Thanks,
Sherry

Threads Merged. Please don't double post. Bama

I had a above ground pool for 10 years, and until last year when I found this site, I had no idea I was doing what was called the BBB system. I was just doing what was easy and economical for me.

Last fall we finished up our DIY inground pool and was planning on using the same method, BBB most of the time with occasional pucks in the skimmer while on vacation.
After much study I realized that I shouldn't put pucks in the skimmer on this pool because of my Heat Pump.

I want to install an inline puck style chlorinator for occasional use. Is there something specific I need to look for, or can anyone recommend a specific product....or are they pretty much all the same. I want one that is easy to set up and put the pucks in.

Thanks,
Sherry

If you are only going to have pucks in there occasionally and plan to remove them when you are home, I would go with a floater instead. It will be much easier to remove the pucks when they are not needed and you don't have to worry about it springing a leak.

From what I can tell most inline chlorinators are pretty much the same and eventually they will leak.

Sorry Bama, I didn't realize that my post submitted twice.
Thanks for merging them.

Thanks too, for the recommendation on the Pentair 320 series.
What kind of injection pump do you have and would you recommend it?

I really would like one of those instead, but not sure it is the budget this year.

Sherry

I have a Stenner 45MHP2 which is 3 GPD and I run it whenever the main pump is running on a setting of about 5. I also use a 15 gallon drum as the vessel to hold the bleach.

I highly recommend it! I fill it with bleach about once a month and test the water every other day.

It's well worth the cost as you don't have to worry about the CYA rising over time to where you have to drain a lot of water to keep it under control like you do with a tablet feeder.

Thanks for the info Bama.

That is the exact set up I have been looking in to.

Do you use just a generic drum, or did you get the Stenner "tank"?

I am wondering if I need a specific kind of drum to store the bleach to avoid corrosion. Any ideas?

I just got a translucent plastic drum online. The Stenner tank has a nice vertical surface to mount the pump on but I just mounted it to a wall.

It doesn't have to be anything special other than all plastic. I bored a snug fitting hole on one of the bungs for the tubing to run through.

My setup is very similar to bama's. I use the 10 Gpd pump with shorter runtimes. I have 2 tanks - 1 was free from the car wash, the other I bought from the bulk chlorine supply place in Houston. They are exactly the same, I recommend going and getting your car washed and asking for the manager. Lay on the compliments and see what you can get. Just be sure to was it out really well before using it. Mine had armor all in it :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.