Pool light issue

rarenomad

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2013
Hey guys, so I started to inspect my pool today and noticed when I turn on my pool light (the light is submerged about 2 feet below the edge of the pool) will turn on for about 3-4 sec then turn off. I have to reset the breaker for it to turn back on. I'm not an electrician but I'm thinking it's a grounding problem. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I had a problem that was similar. Is it on a GFI breaker? My problem ended up being corroded connections at the junction box. Re-did them and fixed me right up.
Hope that helps...Good Luck,
Sami

It could be anything from corroded connections, bad GFI, light needs a new seal, to the entire light housing needing replacement. Check the connections, remove the light to see if you can see any water behind the lens, and then try a new GFI. Worst case is the light housing is bad and needs to be replaced.

Humm the latter would require draining the pool to below that right? If that's the case I think I'll keep the breaker on it on off. I'm planning to out up some floodlights which would seem redundant. Once I close the pool and lower the water I will revisit this.

What type of light is it? Most standard lights are only held in with one screw and there should be enough cable to bring the light up on the deck. There is no need to drain the pool, the water in the niche helps cool the light. Do not turn the light on while out of the water as they need the water to help cool the light.

It looks like a round standard light underwater on the side wall. I'll take your advice and check it out once I uncover the pool completely. It'll be a few days as I'm waiting for my new t100 test kit to arrive

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.