Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Blues

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Blues

Please allow I am a 1st time poster and not versed in proper rules I'm sure.
    My pump is 4.5 years old and had motor replaced a year ago. It seems to be working fine (2hp single sp pentair) I want a more efficient unit with programable timer for dummies.
    It is my understanding the var. speed is more expensive and I'm ok with that if it meets my needs. My kw/r is 12 cents give or take and I run all year but only swim during summer with no heater or h tub. These last few mo.s (Tx) have been costly with sub freezing temp.s for days at a time $$$$$. Is the VS pump worth the xtra or is a two speed gonna do it?
    18,000 gal in ground, 2 hp single speed, sand filter, 3 features, sports pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Blues

Welcome, 2 speed will likely be fine, in fact you can most likely retrofit yours with a 2 speed motor and external timer / switch to control it. (some 2 speed motors have a switch on the end of the cover, some require an external switch to change speeds). For mechanical timers we usually suggest intermatic brand timers.

Ike

p.s. what sort of features?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Many thanks Ike. We have 2 small waterfalls and 1 small bubbler. Your suggestions are well received. Replacing the motor only was not considered. My next chore will be acquiring a reputable tech to do the work. The market here presents limited options. And why my PB did not suggest a 2 speed is questionable, although it appears they did a good job with no prob.s to date. Thanks again.

4. Back To Top    #4

So what part of Texas are you in? (putting region in your profile will help us give better advice, as conditions in the panhandle are different than the gulf coast, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

East Tx. Thanks Ike, my intentions are to polish my profile etc. and utilize this forum. My knowledge vs money spent building/maintaining the pool is inversely proportional at this time. I hope to improve on this.

6. Back To Top    #6

We all started with limited knowledge and built it up over time. I agree with Issac that a two-speed motor would be the way to go. Some places (such as my local Pinch-A-Penny) will allow you to bring your motor end in and will swap it over for a nominal fee, when you bring the replacement motor, or replace it free if you purchase the motor from them.
    Depends on your skill level and what you're comfortable with.
    At $0.12 a KWH the 2-speed makes the most sense. Use low when your just running the skimmer and no water features, high when you want the full shabang!
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida