Does adding bleach raise your salt?

Rossko

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK
I've been having issues with my SWG and using bleach to maintain my chlorine levels in the meantime - I was on the pool calculator messing around and it said that adding a certain amount of bleach would increase my FC level by this much AND my salt by this much - that's really bad for my SWG to have the salt levels too high. My salt readings (probably the most inaccurate of all my readings) don't seem to have changed unusually but I was wondering if this was correct?

THanks,

Ross

Yes, you do add salt when you add bleach. But it's not very much, and once things warm up, you'll be splashing more water out. A full gallon of 12.5% chlorine will only add about 8 ppm to the pool. Jandy is looking for a salt level of about 3,000 ppm so a few gallons of bleach are not going to affect things much.

A SWG does not add salt, but bleach does. However, even if you are adding bleach constantly, the salt level will never get all that high. Splash out, backwashing, winterizing, etc all lower the salt level.

I chlorinate manually using 8.25% bleach. The highest my pool's salt level has reached is 1,560 ppm which is roughly half the salt level of a SWG pool. During the height of swim season, the level stays fairly constant due to water splash-out from swimming. In my case, the highest salt level is reached in early autumn since swimming hours drop (less splash-out) but there is residual salt in the pool from the summer chlorine additions. The salt level declines during the winter due to fewer chlorine additions (due to reduced chlorine demand) and precipitation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.