Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does adding bleach raise your salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Oklahoma City, OK

Does adding bleach raise your salt?

I've been having issues with my SWG and using bleach to maintain my chlorine levels in the meantime - I was on the pool calculator messing around and it said that adding a certain amount of bleach would increase my FC level by this much AND my salt by this much - that's really bad for my SWG to have the salt levels too high. My salt readings (probably the most inaccurate of all my readings) don't seem to have changed unusually but I was wondering if this was correct?

25,000 gal in-ground gunite with spa and waterfall, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy CL580 cartridge filter, Raypak gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Does adding bleach raise your salt?

Yes, you do add salt when you add bleach. But it's not very much, and once things warm up, you'll be splashing more water out. A full gallon of 12.5% chlorine will only add about 8 ppm to the pool. Jandy is looking for a salt level of about 3,000 ppm so a few gallons of bleach are not going to affect things much.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

A SWG does not add salt, but bleach does. However, even if you are adding bleach constantly, the salt level will never get all that high. Splash out, backwashing, winterizing, etc all lower the salt level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

I chlorinate manually using 8.25% bleach. The highest my pool's salt level has reached is 1,560 ppm which is roughly half the salt level of a SWG pool. During the height of swim season, the level stays fairly constant due to water splash-out from swimming. In my case, the highest salt level is reached in early autumn since swimming hours drop (less splash-out) but there is residual salt in the pool from the summer chlorine additions. The salt level declines during the winter due to fewer chlorine additions (due to reduced chlorine demand) and precipitation.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.