TFTestingkit results - need a double check on the results

Nov 2, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I recently picked up a home with a pool. I first want to thank this site for being so helpful and a huge $$$ saver so far. I have been able to pick up my TFTesting kit and pool chemicals from a local chemical company. I use Haas 12% bleach and muriatic acid.

Any ways I was wondering why my PH creeps up very slowly. I add like 12 oz of muriatic every 2-3 months. PH gets a bit higher than 7.8 so I add a bit to reel it in to the 7.5-7.8 range. My CYA is a bit on the high side but I get bleach for about 7 bucks a gallon. I use like 1 gallon a month so with our recent drought here in Norcal I figured I would be a nice guy and not dump water even though we are not metered.

Here are my recent test results. I am about 6 test in and the numbers are pretty consistent.

PH = 7.5
FC= 6 ppm
CC= less than .05 ppm
TC= 6.5 ppm
TA= 110
CH= 380
CYA= 70

I appreciate any suggestions.

Overall not too bad, your CYA is a bit high and your FC is close to the minimum suggested level for your CYA level. (see the CYA / FC chart in pool school). Reducing your CYA through water replacement would be best, but 70 is manageable if you carefully keep track of your FC and never let it drop below 5ppm. Also avoid use of any stabilized chlorine products which would boost the CYA even higher.

Ike

p.s. your acid use is not bad at all for a plaster / gunite pool, in an ideal world if you get your TA just right you would probably get your acid use lower, in the real world their are influences that vary with the seasons that can effect the pH of a pool. Remember some people measure acid used in their pools in gallons per week.

Welcome! :wave:

I don't see anything too wrong with those numbers. You might be living just a tad dangerously with FC at 6 with CYA of 70, though. And with CYA at 70, if - Heaven forbid - you do get an algae bloom, you'll be buying bleach by the drum, not the jug, to kill it.

If you do want to lower CYA some, use pool water on the lawn, then refill the pool with what you would have used on the lawn. I do. It hasn't hurt the lawn any.

Two more comments: One, your acid use is very low. I'd say Mine's more like a quart a week.

Two: you're paying too much for the chlorine, unless it's $7 for two gallon jugs in a box. Shop around. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/56787-Liquid-chlorine-calculator

I get the HASA returnable jugs - you'll know them when you see the orange and yellow milk crates stacked up in the store - for about four bucks a gallon. http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php

Awesome thanks for the help. I will try it out on the lawn for sure and replace some water. I have been getting the disposable containers. Come to find out they have the returnable jugs and also 15 gallon containers for 52.00 dollars. That seems like pretty good deal. Good to know things are not to out of line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.