Problems with high TA and how to recognize them?

saml

Jun 3, 2008
Near Knoxville TN
I was advised in another post to not worry about the TA being 140 unless it's causing a problem. The PH keeps creeping up to 7.6-7.7 (>7.5, <7.8) every 2-3 days and I lower it with acid to ~7.4. Last test for CH was 130. FC is being maintained in "Calculator" range for CYA of 80 with CC 0. The water is clear but kind of hazy, not shimmering. However, I notice I have stuff settling on the bottom within a 1/2 day after vacuuming which leads me to believe I may have dead algae still showing up (shocked about 8 days ago). Also a light-moderate wind has been blowing and its been really dry so I suspect dust, pollen, and other airborne stuff is floating around in there. With all this said what is the problem(s) high TA causes and how is it recognized? ( i.e. Do I have any of the symptoms?) Also, as a bonus question, how much debris is expected to settle based on the conditions I described?

High TA can cause the PH to drift higher as well and the combination of high CH, TA and PH could result in calcium scaling.

Have you tested your fill water? If it is not too high in TA, you might want to try and lower it some. You can use the aeration method in the Pool School section.

Another method of lowering TA that has worked well for me in the past is to lower your PH down to 7.0-7.2 range every time you dose the pool with acid. Over time this will cause the TA to drift down some but again if you have high TA fill water, that will tend to raise TA over time.

Even if you have high TA fill water, you should be able to get it down to 100-120 ppm so you may want to try one of the above methods.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.