Confusing TA readings

Sep 23, 2010
SC Lowcountry
Using my Taylor 2105, I checked my TA today for the first time in awhile. TC was 8.5 (before adding bleach) and PH was 7.4. Using the 25ml method, I stopped adding the R 0009 at 30 drops. It never turned red. With the 10ml method it registered 50. Never had this happen before. I don't cover the pool during the winter, and adjusting the chlorine normally keeps it clear. Currently it's a little cloudy near the bottom (hence the reason I added bleach).

Thanks

If you used 50 drops using a 10ml sample, that would mean your TA is 1250??? That does seem unlikely, unless you just added 200 lbs of baking soda :)

I suggest you test your fill water TA level and see what that is.

Also, how old are your test kit reagents?

Run it again with ten, and see what you get. I'd do the fill water too as Jason suggests.

If it were me, I would also double check the Cya, and CC reading to see what else might be going on.

I think that the color might be off due to a high chlorine level. The color goes from blue to yellow instead of green to red. I think that you're on the edge of the color change. Red plus yellow will give a more orange color.

Try using an extra drop of r-0007 to neutralize the chlorine. Swirl for 5 seconds to allow the R-0007 to neutralize the chlorine.

The change to orange or red should be correct. The reason that the color is more red using 10 ml is that 2 drops of r-0007 is equal to using 5 drops of r-0007 when using the 25 ml sample, which neutralizes more chlorine.

Note that the k-2105 test kit is the bromine kit. Are you using chlorine or bromine.?

JamesW,

The extra drop of r-0007 did the trick. TA is reading 60@ 25ml. BTW I'm using chlorine. We recently had a bunch of storms which dumped a bunch of organic material in the pool, so I added a 2 gallons of bleach to make sure I kept any algae at bay. Generally the water looks fine, but brushing the bottom after several days I get a greenish cloud. I just noticed the semi cloudy condition from the bottom up (roughly 2 feet) several days ago (hence the bleach).

Thanks for the tip on the TA.

Ok, good to know that it's working now. Aslo, be aware that the pH will read a false high in some cases of high fc. The fc needs to be under 10 ppm to get a reliable color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.