Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confusing TA readings

1. Back To Top    #1

Confusing TA readings

Using my Taylor 2105, I checked my TA today for the first time in awhile. TC was 8.5 (before adding bleach) and PH was 7.4. Using the 25ml method, I stopped adding the R 0009 at 30 drops. It never turned red. With the 10ml method it registered 50. Never had this happen before. I don't cover the pool during the winter, and adjusting the chlorine normally keeps it clear. Currently it's a little cloudy near the bottom (hence the reason I added bleach).

Thanks
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confusing TA readings

If you used 50 drops using a 10ml sample, that would mean your TA is 1250??? That does seem unlikely, unless you just added 200 lbs of baking soda

I suggest you test your fill water TA level and see what that is.

Also, how old are your test kit reagents?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Run it again with ten, and see what you get. I'd do the fill water too as Jason suggests.

If it were me, I would also double check the Cya, and CC reading to see what else might be going on.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry I wasn't clear. Using the 10ml method it turned red with 2 drops.
    The test reagents are 3 yrs old.
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would guess that you accidentally used a reagent other than r-0009.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I would guess that you accidentally used a reagent other than r-0009.
    I've run the test 3 times with the correct reagents.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just ran the TA test again using all new reagents. With the 25ml method, the water never turns red. I turns to a very pale orange. With the 10ml method, it turns very pale red with 2 drops, and very red with 3.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think that the color might be off due to a high chlorine level. The color goes from blue to yellow instead of green to red. I think that you're on the edge of the color change. Red plus yellow will give a more orange color.

Try using an extra drop of r-0007 to neutralize the chlorine. Swirl for 5 seconds to allow the R-0007 to neutralize the chlorine.

The change to orange or red should be correct. The reason that the color is more red using 10 ml is that 2 drops of r-0007 is equal to using 5 drops of r-0007 when using the 25 ml sample, which neutralizes more chlorine.

Note that the k-2105 test kit is the bromine kit. Are you using chlorine or bromine.?

9. Back To Top    #9

JamesW,

The extra drop of r-0007 did the trick. TA is reading 60@ 25ml. BTW I'm using chlorine. We recently had a bunch of storms which dumped a bunch of organic material in the pool, so I added a 2 gallons of bleach to make sure I kept any algae at bay. Generally the water looks fine, but brushing the bottom after several days I get a greenish cloud. I just noticed the semi cloudy condition from the bottom up (roughly 2 feet) several days ago (hence the bleach).

Thanks for the tip on the TA.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, good to know that it's working now. Aslo, be aware that the pH will read a false high in some cases of high fc. The fc needs to be under 10 ppm to get a reliable color.