Light Niche Bonding

May 8, 2007
Nashville, TN
i am currently remodeling and installing a new bonding loop. I dug down to my light niche and when I went to connect the copper to the external bonding lug, the lug came out. Does anyone have any suggestions on reattaching the lug? I'm really hoping this doesn't involve soldering or something of the sort. Thanks

Riles

Best I can tell is that the bonding lug should be covered with a potting compound on the inside and that is what holds it in and seals it. Can anyone confirm that? I was also wondering if the potting compound can be applied on the exterior as I probably have better access to the outside of the niche at this point then I do to the inside. Anyone use this potting compound? Is it like a playdo consistency?

The lug is mechanically attached to the can. Usually there is a bolt between the internal and external bonding lugs.
The potting compound is just to waterproof it and not hold it in place.
You may be able to replace the bonding lugs if you can determine the mfg. and maybe the model.

Makes sense that the potting compound is only to waterproof. The bonding lug that came off was probably integral to the can but over the course of time is weakened and pulled out. I don't really need a new lug at this point I just need a way to reattach securely back onto the can and then waterproof it. Sounds like I could probably waterproof it with the potting compound, any thoughts on reattaching the lug to the can?

If the niche is stainless steel, you may want to use a bronze bolt, washer(s) and nut stackup to minimize the effects of having incompatible metals in contact with one another. Bronze is roughly intermediate between stainless steel and copper in the galvanic series. Position the copper wire between two bronze flat washers so the copper wire is only in contact with bronze. This all may be unecessary because you're keeping water out of the connection with potting compound but it's fairly easy to find bronze fasteners at hardware or marine stores and it would be extra insurance for a long term, reliable connection.

The bolt/washer idea is exactly what I was thinking of doing after puzzling on this. I plan to run a bolt with washer though to the outside, extending about an inch. Then another washer and nut on the outside giving me something to clamp my bonding cable to. Then I was planning to just just a marine adhesive on the outside like 3M 5200 marine sealant/adhesive. Anyone see any issues with this plan?

Thanks.

The split bolt connector with a threaded post would be a fine solution, but do not use a rubber washer or an o-ring in the stackup unless it lives in a purpose made o-ring groove or other empty space. Safe electrical connections, whether power, ground or bonding must be tight, solid metal clamped all the way through. Your should pot it afterwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.