Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA - testing in "sunlight" vs. "indoors"

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA - testing in "sunlight" vs. "indoors"

OK, so this issue came up and I'd appreciate any clarification/thoughts on this from you experts. As most know, Leslie's Pools allows a monthly "free" water test, which includes the CYA value. So they don't do the test the same as I would do per the instructions on this site: Outside, back to the Sun. I've tried this myself - testing outside, then indoors. The results are wildly different. For whatever reason, when indoors, the black dot take longer to disappear - which suggests a much lower CYA. (and PS - the guy(s) at Leslie's are very quick with this test and seem to never get the same results that I get ... I know, it's subjective anyway, but just sayin')

So I guess my question is WHAT is the point of testing CYA in the Sunlight (or bright light source) vs. in some other light?
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA - testing in "sunlight" vs. "indoors"

Brighter light means more solution before the dot is obscured means lower CYA value. In a "darker" environment, the test will read artificially high.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Yea, I had that backwards ... ... Anyway, so I get that there *IS* a difference ... but WHY is one the "right" method vs. the other ...?? Reading the various test kits there seems to be no mention at all about "test outside in the sunlight or bright light source if indoors" .... That info was only here on this site in the Extended Test Directions section ... and given that Leslie's is providing 'free' tests for the inexperienced pool owners, aren't they possibly misleading them with possibly "higher" readings than actual ? Thanks for the explanations.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

The solution gets cloudy, but it isn't really opaque. More light makes it easier to see through the cloudiness to the black dot, so more solution is needed to obscure the dot. The test is calibrated by Taylor to read correctly in indirect sunlight. Taylor picked that kind of lighting because that is a much more consistent light source (from person to person) than any regularly available kind of artificial light.

Don't get me started on Leslie's, as a moderator I would have to remove my post after I wrote it
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Our point often is pool store testing is nearly pointless, they have NO INCENTIVE to get it right, most often it is used as a tool to sell chemicals, so as long as the test shows that you need to buy something it accomplishes their goal.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

there is a calibrated cya test sample that you can buy
    one of the experts here will know where to buy from
    with that i believe it is set to 50 ppm CYA
    just fill the tube to 50 then find a light source that just blocks the dot
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Don't get me started on Leslie's, as a moderator I would have to remove my post after I wrote it

Quote Originally Posted by aussieta View Post
    there is a calibrated cya test sample that you can buy
    one of the experts here will know where to buy from
    with that i believe it is set to 50 ppm CYA
    Indeed, you can get it from TFTest kits.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski
    Brighter light means more solution before the dot is obscured means lower CYA value. In a "darker" environment, the test will read artificially high.
    This is exactly what happened to me right after I joined TFP. Did the CYA test in indirect sunlight (using a TF-100) and then immediately took the same water sample to the closest pool store (about a mile away). My test read 40 ppm CYA and their test read 80 ppm. I know my result was correct since I dosed chlorine according to my reading of 40 ppm CYA and have never had algae or combined chloramines (CC's).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.