Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Winter Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Winter Chlorine

Merged thread with "raising chlorine without a pump" thread. To avoid confusion please do not start a second thread on the same topic. Zea3
    I live in a cold climate and my pool is winterized. the ice is melting off my cover and I just looked under the cover, water is clear. I tested my chlorine and the levels are only 0.8. How do I add chlorine if there is no circulation? my husband suggested using our sump pump that we use to remove the water off our cover.

21k inground pool
    thanks

Moved from Announcement forum to Just Getting Started. Brushpup.
    Last edited by zea3; 03-10-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: merged threads with identical topics

2. Back To Top    #2

adding winter chlorine

What is your water temp ? Algae has a hard time forming in cold water temps. Not to say that it can't happen.
    If your water temp is really cold I would think you would be ok till you open. Just make sure you get things going before the water temp hits 60.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: adding winter chlorine

A covered (opaque cover) and winterized pool should not need chlorine added. All you usually need to do is open the pool before the water gets much above 50 degrees and you will be fine.

If you have a mesh cover, adding some chlorine is a good idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Adding Winter Chlorine

Welcome to the forum dreon!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

raising chlorine without a pump

just melted the last of the ice off my cover this week but we wont be able to open for another 4-6 wks. tested the water and my chlorine is less than 1. water is clear.
    how do you add chlorine without a pump to circulate? My husband suggested throwing in our sump pump that we use for removing the water off our cover?

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks a bunch for the reply. My cover is opaque. My thermometer is in the back of our pool shed and it was too cold to search for. The water temp is only estimated by my hand to be in the mid 30s. I am jealous about the other posters who are in the 80s!! We thought we were in a heat wave today as the outside temp hit 50. sorry if I double posted this forum.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: raising chlorine without a pump

I use a canoe paddle, but that's for a hot tub -- a submersible pump would sure be a lot less work.

If you can walk around the pool I imagine that diluting the chlorine a lot and distributing it around the pool would help too. When I'm adding ~6 oz of bleach to my hot tub I typically add it to a bucket with a few gallons of water and "pour it all around"...
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

When my pool thermometer breaks I can usually find some kind of thermometer that covers the temperature range either in the kitchen or around the barbeque...

If it makes you feel any better it was 17F and snowing here today.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

Agreed. My barbecue thermometer (Thermapen) works great. 2 second read.
    11K gal, IG plaster, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed, 4 cartridge filter, The Pool Cleaner, Heliocol Solar heating

10. Back To Top    #10

It's a lot of work but you can brush the pool too. The pump won't move a lot of water but will help a good deal. If it were mine, I would agitate it as much as possible by brushing or doing something similar.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

X2 what Brushpup said. Brush the sides down.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

dreon:

You've already been given great advice, so I will take this opportunity to welcome you to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

As far as circulating the chlorine without a pump, it's pretty much what the others have said. In fact, here's a thread from a user who was without power for over a week in 90-100+F temperatures. Kept their pool clean by manually circulating and swimming to churn and circulate the water. User was diligent in maintaining the proper chlorine level. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...void-a-problem!!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    Kept their pool clean by manually circulating and swimming to churn and circulate the water.
    Sounds like a plan. Since the water temperature was estimated at 40F they'll be swimming really really fast to stay warm

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin1047 View Post
    Agreed. My barbecue thermometer (Thermapen) works great. 2 second read.
    Duh~<slaps forehead> Why have I never thought of this before!?!? Thanks for the idea
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain