Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfall repair and resurface in Allen, TX and trying to pick a Luna Quartz color...

1. Back To Top    #1

Waterfall repair and resurface in Allen, TX and trying to pick a Luna Quartz color...

Hello everyone! This is a great site and I love looking at all the builds and remodels.

Our pool's plaster needs replaced and the waterfall has a large missing piece so we have signed a contract to repair the waterfall and resurface the pool The waterfall is an interesting one, it is formed concrete. Looks like it might have been done over a fiberglass mesh and then stained and painted to look like rock. I always liked the way it looked. I got lots of quotes to replace with a 3-4 ton mossy rock waterfall but in the end decided to go with someone that could fix the one I had. That way I didn't have to come up with a replacement waterfall idea to get across to the pool builder who then has to communicate that to his "stone guy"...

20130224_190142496_iOS (Mobile).jpg

I am also looking to fill in the part of the steps where my suction cleaner always gets stuck. Any concerns with that idea? I think it might help it out.

20140226_145642706_iOSa (Mobile).jpg

I have attached some pics, will put some more up later. I am going with Wetedge's Luna Quartz and have narrowed down to Bermuda (which is a grey) and St Maarten (which is a darker blue). Any pro-cons between the two? I think the grey will show less variation and scale over time than the darker blue but is that really a concern? Also I worry about the darker colors warming the water higher here in our Texas summers. Again is that a concern?

Houses_071306 159 (Mobile).jpg

Any comments would be appreciated...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waterfall repair and resurface in Allen, TX and trying to pick a Luna Quartz colo

That's a beautiful backyard! Love all your landscaping!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Waterfall repair and resurface in Allen, TX and trying to pick a Luna Quartz colo

HI, Building a pool in San Antonio. We are using Rico Rock. Have you checked them out? I'm going to watch this thread and see if anyone responses about the darker plaster. I hadn't really thought about the water getting too warm.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I fell in love with the water color that grey surfaces convey. That's how our decision was made. I wasn't that concerned with what the actual surface looked like honestly. And ditto Ready's comment.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by txdds4 View Post
    HI, Building a pool in San Antonio. We are using Rico Rock. Have you checked them out? I'm going to watch this thread and see if anyone responses about the darker plaster. I hadn't really thought about the water getting too warm.
    I have been searching and the sensible scientific answers seem to suggest that the darker colors, even much darker than what I am considering, do little to influence the overall temperature of the pool It seems to make sense in that the pool shell and earth behind it are such a large thermal mass that actually changing the temperature of it would be very difficult. This is true for a deep pool, one with more shallow areas may see some influence from dark pool colors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Readyforapool View Post
    That's a beautiful backyard! Love all your landscaping!
    Thanks! I wish the palms were still here. The ice storm that froze over the Dallas Super/icebowl killed them. That long shot from the diving board was when I looked at the house before buying. I will take some more recent shots before getting the work done.

We are down to Bermuda and St Maarten. The wife said today that she liked the St Maarten more than the Bermuda so we could go with that one. I hope it goes with the tile that matches the color tone of the Arizona flagstone seen in the pick with the palm trees in it.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think the St. Maarten is just a shade lighter than mine, it's a beautiful color. Good luck.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are the two colors - St Maarten on the left and the Bermuda on the right. Which do you prefer and why?

quartz_colors_st_maarten_bermuda.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

Well you know I would go for the darker, but that being said, it's only a little lighter than mine and if you are concerned about the water temp, I would go with the Bermuda. If you're concerned that the steps and benches might appear more gray, then I would go with the St. Maarten.

9. Back To Top    #9

Put some pics into a Flickr photostream... we are now looking at Wetedge Satin Matrix, most likely the Northshore Tahoe, very nice water color and think it might match some of the landscaping nicely.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7852778@N06/

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post
    Put some pics into a Flickr photostream... we are now looking at Wetedge Satin Matrix, most likely the Northshore Tahoe, very nice water color and think it might match some of the landscaping nicely.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7852778@N06/

Put some more pics of the reno on the flickr account above. What does everyone do for posting photos here? It is a real pain trying to use the web forum interface.

11. Back To Top    #11

12. Back To Top    #12

Photobucket. Or tapatalk app is easy
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

13. Back To Top    #13

+ 1 ^^^
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

~15K gal, IG gunite with new Wetedge Satin Matrix Pebble Finish installed mid 04/14, 1 HP Pentair Challanger pump, Sta-rite System 3 300 sqft cartridge filter, G3 cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

~15K gal, IG gunite with new Wetedge Satin Matrix Pebble Finish installed mid 04/14, 1 HP Pentair Challanger pump, Sta-rite System 3 300 sqft cartridge filter, G3 cleaner

16. Back To Top    #16

Here are some shots of the waterfall repair.

17. Back To Top    #17

We ended up picking the one on the right. It is Wetedge Satin Matrix Northshore Tahoe. I really love the color! Let's hope we like the feel!!

18. Back To Top    #18

Almost done! Water goes in tomorrow!

19. Back To Top    #19

Water going in, love the finish color and the feel. Added some extra abalone shells for sparkle.

20. Back To Top    #20

About 20 hours into the fill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast