Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool - guidance on test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool - guidance on test kit

I recently ordered the TF-100 kit but then realized I should have asked for a little guidance first. The pool which is still being built will be SWA. Is there any additional items I should have ordered to support a SWA pool? The kit came with R0011L which is in a container marked "chlorine only". Will I use this or not?

After watching the instruction videos I will be ordering the speedstir device.
    34'x22', depths 3.5 x 5.5 x 3.5; ~9' spa, Walnut Travertine coping, Quartzscape;
    Equipment: 2hp Jandy pump, water feature pump, Jandy DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 Salt System;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80544338@N00/sets/72157641144436833/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool - guidance on test kit

I cant remember off hand exactly why, but you only want to do the FAS-DPD test in the "chlorine only" vial, and do the TA and CH tests in the other one.

With a SWG, you'll need salt test strips, but that's about the only thing I can think of.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, you will use it because your SWG will make Chlorine. You will be testing for it so that's why. It is actually a test vial that is marked Chlorine only. The R0011L is a testing reagent for Calcium. Perhaps down the line you'll want a salt test kit, but the TF-100 has all you'll need really. Good choice on the stirrer, you'll never regret it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The "chlorine only" cylinder and the R-0011L inside it are completely unrelated.

I suggest you get a sample of your fill water or tap water and sit at a table and perform the tests one at a time. It'll make it a lot easier when you begin to fill you pool. You were not premature on getting a precision test kit.

You will know exactly what to add even befor your poll is filled to the top. You are w-a-a-ay ahead of the game.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the guidance. I guess I'm use to flying Southwest Airlines (SWA) versus discussing a SWG.
    34'x22', depths 3.5 x 5.5 x 3.5; ~9' spa, Walnut Travertine coping, Quartzscape;
    Equipment: 2hp Jandy pump, water feature pump, Jandy DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 Salt System;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80544338@N00/sets/72157641144436833/