DIY Pool tile question

Apr 8, 2013
I have posted a plumbing question but now I want to ask if anyone has any advice on tiling a pool. I was planning on a 20x40 kidney shaped pool. I was planning on doing block wall and a liner but I have installed tile before and thought I might for my pool. I know it would be more expensive upfront but would look better and last longer of done correctly.Does anyone have any experience with glass mosaic tiles? I was looking into the laticrete products to waterproof the shell then thinset and mortar. My plan would be to pour a footer and lay my block wall. I could either pour the pool floor when I pour the footer or after the block wall is built. I was going to do a portland skim coat over the wall block to smooth it out and round the edges a little where it meets the pool floor and steps. Then I would do a bed of thinset, lay tile, and grout. I was wondering about expansion joints and other techniques. Any adice on pouring the concrete on the pool hopper slopes?

Tile can be exceptionally beautiful, but it is a huge amount of work, especially glass tile (which is exceptionally sensitive to mistakes). You need an absolutely rigid surface for the tile or you will get cracks. That is difficult to achieve (though possible) with the approach you suggested, as the wall will tend to shift (just slightly) relative to the floor and open up cracks. There can't be any expansion joints in the shell or the tile will crack.

We have had a couple of people do DIY tile pools, but it is unusual due to expense and extra effort. Some searching should turn up the relevant topics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.