Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Skimmer and return questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Skimmer and return questions

I am building a diy block pool soon. 20 x 40 kidney shaped. I am at the point where I need to locate my skimmers and returns. I have some pool plans that only show 2 returns but I have read alot on here about plumbing and it seems like more is better. I have read about deep wall returns and other things like that. I was going to do 2 skimmers and as many returns as needed. Is the primary function of returns to circulate water or to push debris toward skimmers? Thanks for any help. I will upload a picture later for reference.
    20x40 mountain lake style free form . 24000 gal

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pool Skimmer and return questions

Ideally you want a skimmer at the predominantly downwind side of the pool. A second would give you a better chance of catching debris before it sinks. Too many returns could hurt some as the flow out of each will be lower, although smaller eyeballs would help the velocity.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!