Pool Pump replacement

Dec 13, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Hi folks,

Have a really old noisy Hayward pump that has incredibly lasted 13 years here in Mesa. I'm looking to replace it now and the power company offering rebates until April 14, 2014.

Thinking of the Hayward Ecostar. Thoughts? Any recommendations on a local contractor or installer.

I looked at the pricing on the internet and found it was going for$885 with free shipping from Amazon. After reading reviews , I was scared off by the number of buyers getting used pumps that were advertised as new and numerous operability problems and return issues. Also noted that the Hayward warranty is only one year for internet and self installed prices and three years for approved contractors. Which way would you go?

Also, I have an oddsized equipment pad. Looks like a pre-cast concrete that is 27" x 45" and is cracked badly and probably should replace it when I replace the pump. I need a pad this size to keep equipment in current positions without major replumbing. What are my options for pad replacement? Concrete, plastic, rubber?

Thanks to all for your help,

Sincerely,

Paul

Even with the shortened warranty, I would probably still go with the self install. The cost of the pump plus installation would probably be more than 2x the DIY cost so you could end up buying the same pump twice and still come out ahead. Plus most premature failures will occur in the first year or well after 3 years. But you might want to get an estimate anyway.

I know in the AC industry they're using the plastic pads to support the AC units. If you can get one cheap enough I'd say go for it. What about just replacing the motor and the seals and keeping the wet end. You won't have to redo the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.